What's new
What's new

Is there a decent affordable air gun that doesnt blow up?

Parkerbender

Stainless
I don't know if anybody has this problem, or just us... we run our compressor at 110-150 so it doesn't kick on as much, and the past year we have been going through air guns willy-nilly. I know Silvent makes nice guns, at least they looked nice at IMTS, but they are like $100 or better it seems... does anybody know of any guns that don't blow up when they get to 120.1 psi? Nothing from harbor fright will last a day, I bought some JP stuff, they last a few weeks, the seals just don't last... wish I could design production stuff with a 1.2 factor of safety! :ack2:

I've never seen an air gun blow up in my 30 yrs of being in a shop.
Although we run our pressure at 110max or so.
What's to blow up? I don't see how they can unless you're buying the cheapest of the cheap.

150 Psi Max, that's my dude! Thanks Deljr15!

Blow up = take the seals out... Like how blowing up an engine usually doesn't involve a fireball, but I should have probably specified...

Thanks!

I've never seen an air gun blow up in my 30 yrs of being in a shop.
Although we run our pressure at 110max or so.
What's to blow up? I don't see how they can unless you're buying the cheapest of the cheap.

I'll see your 30 and raise you 20 more years and have never seen or heard of a air gun blowing up.

Snap on ones are good until it's borrowed and returned damaged.
I never hung any on the side of the box again.

There is one that's about $150, Guardair brand. I'll compare it to a Cadillac vs a pinto...

Look at the Typhoon model for high flow. A supply outlet here has been selling them for more than 5 years.
They dedicate their operation to supplying local machinists, even on Saturday. They wouldn't stock it if it wasn't popular.

Coilhose Pneumatics

Last edited:
guardair long johns are like $35. never blow up even when u use them to shoot empty water bottles across the shop.

+1 on the pressure costing money

Cut the pressure down and let the compressor run a bit more often. Your Electricity charges will thank you for it...

Get a pony tank on the side if you still feel like the compressor is kicking on too much (5-10 gal per HP). Unless you have a specialized compressor setup, those high pressures are costing you a ton of coin, not even counting leaks.

For guns,
EXAIR makes fantastic air guns. They aren't cheap, but they would be paid for by tuning your air system better in the first year anyways.

EXAIR - Engineered Compressed Air Products - Welcome to the New EXAIR.com

i'm with the 30 and raise you 20 crowd. i use inexpensive miltons. one i added about 18" of 1/4" steel tubing so i can stand back and another has about 6" of 1/4" air brake line. never had one fail. after about 10 years or so the lever wears out where it pivots
i run 175# air and i have employees too

Back