What's new
What's new

Is there a "female" screwdriver?

garyrice

Aluminum
I'm overhauling a couple of Die Chaser Heads that have slotted screws - except the "slot" protrudes from the top of the screw instead of the traditional groove slot. It's sort of a reverse of a normal slotted screw.

Do I have to machine custom inserts to loosen these screws or is there a set of drivers I can buy?

Gary

...Do I have to machine custom inserts to loosen these screws or is there a set of drivers I can buy?

I've never seen anything like what you're describing but that doesn't mean they don't exist--the world
is a big place. Would be dead simple to make something that would do the job. Just run an appropriately
sized slitting saw across the end of a piece of round stock...

Screwdrivers are typically female, the vodka will fall out of a male glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do make them for brake work. I think they call the fastener a "nail". It is spring loaded with a cross bar forged onto the each end? Push it in with the tool give it 1/2 turn and it comes out of the slotted hole. It looks like a spin tite with a slot across it. The slot is fairly wide like maybe 1/8-1/4 inch wide.
Bill D.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP80708

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Seriously tho, its minutes to make something that'll work. I did for a hard to get to radiator valve.

There are 3 of them. One is marked "The National Acme Company" and the others are unmarked. But all 3 are similar in design. So I suspect they all are the same brand.

Gary

Yup they are/were around. A early form of tamper-proofin I guess.

I have seen a walleted set (6 or 8?) in normalish size ranges made in the old style round bar with swaged out flats to fit a handle form. Ones I saw were a "trades mans issue" toolkit. Dunno who made them. Certainly not in the usual tool catalogues but this was maybe 1990 so before the internet revolution.

Clive

I assume the video is showing the aircraft fastener that uses such a driver. Something like a duz it or cleco?
Bill D.
Sorry Bill no, just a play on females driving screws. The tool I made was just some bar with a slot in the end of it. Could loctite a tube over it for a more support if needed.

Cheers D

Bill....there is a cleco clamp but that is not what those are. Cleco clamps are installed with a special pair of pliers into drilled rivet holes to hold panels together while more holes are drilled. Or they are used to clamp the panel into position so you can install the rivets. Then they are easily removed using the same pliers. I have about a hundred of them and use them all the time on sheet metal work. Any body and fender repair shop will have a slew of them.

I'm overhauling a couple of Die Chaser Heads that have slotted screws - except the "slot" protrudes from the top of the screw instead of the traditional groove slot. It's sort of a reverse of a normal slotted screw.

Do I have to machine custom inserts to loosen these screws or is there a set of drivers I can buy?

Gary

If the screw identifies that way it is, no question about it. If the screwdriver won't work with it's a bigot.

Back