What's new
What's new

Things of interest around Bowling Green, Ohio

Weirsdale George

Stainless
A group of us are heading up to Bowling Green, Ohio, in September to attend the Historical Construction Equipment Association's International Convention in September. Are there any other things of interest within, say, 100 miles to people with an equipment/mechanic/machining background? A lot of us have already been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton although we may visit that again. Thanks.

ALL kinds of stuff

Your not to far at all from were i live, and ther is a lot to do really depending on how you look at it. You have an old corn mill in Grand Rapids(not sure if open this time of year)(and they have a steam/water powerd flat belt machine shop), henry ford museum, Neil Armstrong museum in wapakaneta is the town i think. have Sauders Village in Archabold. Toldeo Zoo. those are the ones come to mind. some are expensive others are not all depends on what your into. i think there is an art museum and such in toldeo also.should be more just cant think of any right now.

If you're there around Sept 7-9 there is the Black Swamp arts festival. Looks like you will be there the weekend after. Not too mechanical related but I thought it was pretty good.

There a huge tractor pull in bowling green the following weekend, and I understand there's a tractor pull museum there but not sure of the details.

The Exchange Traded Fund people are right now gathering in HOLLYWOOD FLORIDA....
They dont need to ask anyone... Whatz to do around here???

Bowling Green....oHIo ?????????
You guys need a better place....

Weirsdale George..... not answering your question, but we had a similar show on a smaller scale a few years ago in Rhode Island. If we had room, Gary should be able to find someplace in Texas. Seriously, though, I love that stuff and I think Bowling Green is probably a hotbed area of interest like Oshkosh is for aircraft.

NW Ohio is not what I would think of as a tourist attraction by any means.

But since you listed 100 mile radius and mechaincal based attractions, then I too would say to stop by The Henry Ford [museum]. Greenfield Village is historic, yes, but not quite as attractive to a gearhead.

Sauder Village is in my neck of the woods, but quite honestly - it is just a reduced scaled version of Greenfield Village/The Henry Ford [museum] for the most part.

If you've never been to the big tractor pull, that may be a real good time for a crew of gearheads! (especially if you left the wives to home, and have seating in a certain area, and the weather is hot.) And that is right in Bowling Green! (Wood County fairgrounds) I haven't been there in many, many yrs now. My dad pulled there once with a turbo'd 4020 back in the 70's. But the super mods are always impressive. (I have no clue how someone can justify playing in that circuit tho)

Otherwise - LOTS of corn to be seen in every direction from BG. Not exactly Illinois, but you are in the heart of our corn fields.

I haven't been through the canal tour thing in Grand Rapids, Ohio (drove past it many times tho) but that may be of interest to your crew. (as posted above)

The only "claim to fame" that we have AFAIK to "tourist attraction" in NW Ohio is Ceder Point, but somehow I don't think that's quite what your looking for. (Not been there in 30 yrs?)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Tri State gas engine show in Portland Indiana last week of August. I understand it to be the largest of it's kind in the US. I go every year and don't even like tractors. So much more to see and some of my best purchases on Antique machinery items have been from there. This is the one show professional pickers never miss. Never been able to cover the show in one day. Be there on the opening day.

They really call it "Tri-State"?

I thought that I had an idea where Portland was, and shore'nuff, it is 75 miles from the closest "third" state.

:gossip:

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well if yuhr gunna go and doo that - it would only seem right to take in a Mud Hens game then.

(Never been to either.)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The Historical Construction Equipment Association's International Convention is Sept 14-16. The 47th Annual Tri-State Gas Engine and Tractor Show is August 22nd - 26th. To bad they're not closer together you'd really enjoy Portland. I put HCEA on my calendar months ago, I'm not going to miss it.

If you haven't been the Air Force museum in the last say 10 years or so you need to go again. Keep in mind you can do a shop tour on Fridays. Tours are appointment only and require proper ID. Currently the B-17's Memphis Bell and The Swoose (a "D" model) are undergoing full restoration in the shop.

Back