What's new
What's new

Thinking of pulling the table off a bridgeport clone

Raul McCai

Aluminum
So I can move it through a narrow way that the miller with the table on table won't navigate.

Any advice on this or things to watch our for or shit you wish you knew before you did it?

I don't know what it weighs but I bet it's close to 300 pounds

So I can move it through a narrow way that the miller with the table on table won't navigate.

Any advice on this or things to watch our for or shit you wish you knew before you did it?

I don't know what it weighs but I bet it's close to 300 pounds

No big problems doing this. Remove the screw and gib and ends, slide the table far enough out one side, put a table or rolling cart under it and lower the knee so the table is supported, then slide it off totally.

Don't plan to lift the table without assistance.

have you. seen the video of moving a bridgeport through a 35 inch doorway? How narrow is your door? You will probably have to remove the door first.
Bil lD.

Guy in the shed next to me used to run 20ft+ steel section in frontal thru a 12 ft wide door with a Hyster H 80....just like a ballet ,it was,and he didnt stop to think ,just drive straight in.

have you. seen the video of moving a bridgeport through a 35 inch doorway? How narrow is your door? You will probably have to remove the door first.
Bil lD.

You're right Bill. I've got a Chevalier 40 taper. The table is 70" plus including power feed and handles. Came through a 46" doorway. Get the table all the way to one end or other and "screw" the mill through the door.

If only the doorway were like the ones in that office.
I have three foot thick walls of stone. Who ever built this structure didn't have any materials or labor issues. and I gotta pass two with in 4 feet of each other and there's a ledge on either dide of the floor.

I did just the same to get a Bridgeport into a friends workshop. No real problems in getting the table off, but it will need at least 2 of you due to the weight. Put it back on straight away if you can to save losing any parts. Let us know how you get on.

Get a strong shop cart and lower table to that height, or shim cart with wood up to table. Easily and carefully move table and cart away from mill. A nice flat level floor will help.

Back