What's new
What's new

thread chart

AndyH

Plastic
Goodmorning everyone.
So I purchased a Lagun Tutnmaster 15x50 lathe. the problem i'm having is understanding the thread chart. when choosing a specific thread say a 36. The chart says LB2R. But theres more levers that dont correspond to that thread so what position are those levers in? Very confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

Goodmorning everyone.
So I purchased a Lagun Tutnmaster 15x50 lathe. the problem i'm having is understanding the thread chart. when choosing a specific thread say a 36. The chart says LB2R. But theres more levers that dont correspond to that thread so what position are those levers in? Very confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
usually 4 levers and L B 2 R are where they need to be set.
had a threading job where i could start nut but the more i screwed it on threads the tighter threads got. eventually figured out the thread pitch was close but wrong i didnt set one gear correct, one was off position. usually i turn a 1" of threads .002 deep and measure or count threads per inch. if you only got 0.1" obviously hard to measure thread pitch or distance between threads

We really need pictures but, assuming it is what it appears to be, knock off of the Colchester Triumph 2000 speed and gearbox controls the system is pretty much as follows. Sorry for any errors but its nearly 40 years since I last drove a Triumph 2000. Stupidly confusing unless you use it everyday!

Simple version

Everything from the chart plus :- W for tpi and DP threads, C for metric pitches, module threads and 19 tpi, Y for cross and longitudinal feeds.

More detail

Levers on the left.

Top one L for fine threads, H for coarse ones. thats the L in your LB2R = 36 tpi example.

Next one down selects left or right hand threading

Levers in a Row

Left hand lever A and B set gear ratios for (mostly) imperial threads. Thats The B in you example. C generally sets metric and module pitches but is also used for 19 TPI.

Middle lever R, S and T all select gear ratios. Thats the R in your example.

Right hand lever W selects imperial (tpi) and DP threads. Y sets cross and longitudinal feeds. X and Z select gear ratios for metric pitches.

Number is joystick position.

Clive

A picture of the levers in question would be helpful, or better yet several pictures showing the chart, the levers, pulling back further to show all of the head stock controls. Some of us don't know the Turnmaster, but any of the experienced machinists here can probably figure out the controls if we see them.

On edit: Clive posted while I was typing. That is definitely a complex set of levers!!

TR
hanks a ton Clive. This now makes perfect sense. The issue I was having was there were levers not mentioned and had no idea what position it needed to be in.

Andy

Glad you are sorted now. Whole thing would be a darn sight clearer if they'd put a bit more information on the untabulated lever positions like C (mm pitch), W (tpi) and Y (feeds). If I had one it would get a set of extra notes PDQ.

Original intention of course was to have something universal for all languages.

What really annoys me is that, Colchester at least, didn't bother to clarify things in the manual. How hard is four extra sentences or separate tabulation making it all clear.

Clive

Back