What's new
What's new

Material for table saw arbor

Bill D

Diamond
I need to make a arbor for my tablesaw to hold the blade. I have some 8620 of a close size I was planning to use. I was not planning to harden it. I will only remove the nut and blade a few times a year so hardening seems like overkill and it risks warping the part. I have a feeling any mild steel would do?
Bill D

I would think even 12L14 would work for this application and it sure machines nicely. I made one years ago out of 4140 but that was because I keep a lot of that in different sizes and found a cutoff that was just right. It works fine.

If you want to make it higher quality to last a lifetime, I might go with 4140 prehard. But for most applications, I recommend using WLA steel; whatever's laying around.

Steel for arbor

I would think even 12L14 would work for this application and it sure machines nicely. I made one years ago out of 4140 but that was because I keep a lot of that in different sizes and found a cutoff that was just right. It works fine.

I'm with you 12L17! Why spend the extra for material when the part does not require heat treatment? The quality of the product will not improve by using a better steel. Quality should be good enough to satisfy the needs. Anything more; no one obtains additional utilitarian value from the added cost.

Roger, 8/19/19

I would comment that 12L14 is notorious for rusting with minimal or no provocation, and it might not be the material you want riding in your arbor bearings.

Back