What's new
What's new

Thread closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgraves1

Plastic
Sorry for starting a new post just for this question, but why would my taper attachment thread get closed?

Precision Matthews is considered hobby grade tools and their discussion is not allowed on this site.

Kind of an INSULT to discerning "hobbyists" actually.

There's the real issue.

South Benders, by contrast KNOW they have a too-light lathe and constantly demonstrate the ability to work AROUND its limitations with skill and dedication to turn-out some astonishingly good work. That has proven to be instructive and interesting as well as preserving of the craft and many basic skills.

Which can then "scale up" to industrial-grade working.

Much as was the very "plan", years ago when veritable legions of light lathes went into trade schools and JR HS / HS shops.

Kind of an INSULT to discerning "hobbyists" actually.

There's the real issue.

South Benders, by contrast KNOW they have a too-light lathe and constantly demonstrate the ability to work AROUND its limitations with skill and dedication to turn-out some astonishingly good work. That has proven to be instructive and interesting as well as preserving of the craft and many basic skills.

Which can then "scale up" to industrial-grade working.

Much as was the very "plan", years ago when veritable legions of light lathes went into trade schools and JR HS / HS shops.

I don't make the rules, hell I barely follow them :)

Precision Matthews is considered hobby grade tools and their discussion is not allowed on this site.

So if I am asked what brand lathe it is do i just not answer? I originally asked about a taper attachment for a 1236 lathe. Not real sure how to work around not saying what brand it is. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but do I need to look for another forum since I don't have a "approved" brand machine?

A forum catering to the 'home shop machinist' may be what you seek for discussion regarding that machine. Still lots of good information to browse here, too. @las, the stickies and other forum rules make good reading.

.. do I need to look for another forum since I don't have a "approved" brand machine?

Yes, actually, you should.

But for simple PRAGMATIC reasons. Nothing to do with "status" or "internet politics" atall.

Simply put, you need to ask where more of the participants HAVE the same machine or its several cousins and HAVE some experience to share that is actually relevant to your needs, and directly, rapidly USEFUL.

You want to know about motorcycle tires? Your first stop ain't much use in an Earthmoving nor heavy truck forum, let alone kinky-sex gear - just because "rubber goods" might be involved.

Go where the knowledge actually IS
. No "shame" in that.. WHATEVER you seek.

Don't try to make a problem out of a solution. Wastes your time easily as much as the time of others, if not MORE SO.

You value your time? Quit wasting it on posturing.

"Posturing" ain't never even fixed an ignorant P-38 bean-tin-opener, let alone any sort of "machine", however great or humble.

Sorry for starting a new post just for this question, but why would my taper attachment thread get closed?

....and this one's gonna get closed for a "Bad title".

Please doo read & follow the rules.....

Attachments

• gary larson, polar bear.jpg
    gary larson, polar bear.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 132
"Posturing" ain't never even fixed an ignorant P-38 bean-tin-opener

Hey now,,, Don't be knockn on the trusty P-38. I've had the same one for over 30 years, Used it for everything from a can opener to self defense. Little bastard still razor sharp.....

p38.JPG

Hey now,,, Don't be knockn on the trusty P-38. I've had the same one for over 30 years, Used it for everything from a can opener to self defense. Little bastard still razor sharp.....

View attachment 272300

1940's "Brown Shoe" army brat onward, here. More than one.

Not many things ever made by the hand of man as all-around useful.

But still.

Ever try to IMPRESS one of 'em by shouting.. or posting ..that YOU had the bigger DICK?

I may not know "everything", but I know that mind-f*****g or meat-f*****g with a P-38 could be a seriously BAD move to try-on! Same again the one with wings, Allisons, and a nose fulla MG's and cannon, come to think of it. See also "P-51", another with a don't-f**k big sister.

Given all the tin they have vanquished, world-wide, and how keerful yah needs to be when they have to serve as yer only "spoon" for spam or beans and Mother******, either one?

Some arguments are best not even begun.

:D

View attachment 272300

My P-38 was made by Walther and was not razor sharp, but it still looked like new and had the holster and extra mag. I guess some GI got tired of his souvenir. I got it at a flea market in 1967 or so. It could put a hole through a bean can, but it was not a practical way to open a can if you wanted to eat the contents.

Larry

My P-38 was made by Walther and was not razor sharp, but it still looked like new and had the holster and extra mag. I guess some GI got tired of his souvenir. I got it at a flea market in 1967 or so. It could put a hole through a bean can, but it was not a practical way to open a can if you wanted to eat the contents.

Larry

My smaller Walthers don't shed their top slide, as a P38 can now and then do.

9 mm "Kurz" belly-busters, both. The "Ultra" framed one is comfy. The "short grip" pre-GCA '68 PPK will, however, take an evil delight in putting railroad track in the web of yer thumb, rapid-fire, for it's love of walking up yer grip.

Either of the Basque Lawyers are actually easier to shoot, even pushing +P+ .45's.

Mind... the younger member of the Legal Team masses around 46 ounces EMPTY, so it SHOULD be right stable.

Bayonet or K-Bar will open a can OK. Downside is they seem to be "stupidity magnets" as well, so there's a far higher risk of injury than the P-38 offers.

A bit more on the reason and a suggested board where you will be well received:

As I understand it, this board was set up for working professional machinists. As such, their time is valuable and the amount of time they can spend away from the shop floor to read and answer questions here is limited. Many of them have bosses and/or supervisors who will question the use of their time if it appears that it is being utilized for non-professional purposes. So the board has rules about what is considered proper topics for the posts. Beginners will have questions that they need answers for, but that have been asked and answered many times both here and elsewhere. So those topics are discouraged. And one way to discourage them is to ban non-professional equipment. That is the way it is and we should respect it.

As for where you should post, there are other boards that are oriented around the home shop, non-professional types. One such board is the Home Shop Machinist board.

General -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

You can get the same level of information there as is available here. And many of the people who are members of this board also post there. Of course, there are others.

I do suggest that you read the posting rules before you post on a new board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back