What's new
What's new

Thread cutting depth

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

Maybe someone could help me to understand how the cut depth of threads should be solved. For example I just milled internal 7/8-14 UNF threads and according to this:
UNC and UNF - Unified Inch Screw Threads
hole should be 20.4mm and major diameter 22.225mm. Well it didn't work, depth was lacking. Before I had accidentally machined it correctly having the major diameter 22.463 as model had drilled hole size of 20.638mm and the thread was perfect. So now as the hole was 20.4mm I set the milled diameter 22.463 and thread was perfect. Haven't spent too much time to figure out where does it go wrong but I assume is, that all these dimensions rely on imaginary point of thread crest which doesn't exist in real life. At least all the threading tools I have had and seen are with sharp edge. So my question is that have I missed some point :) or is it just so that no program or chart gives you the real life cut depth and you always need to add 0.1-0.2mm in depth for the thread to work?

Thank you in advance

Threads are measured at the PITCH diameter, not the major or minor diameters.

That is the WHY of the three wire method.

To apply this to an internal thread two gauges are normally needed: GO and NO GO. These can be made using the three wire method and some math.

When you see experienced machinists using the amount of in-feed to cut a thread, you are not seeing the years of experience and knowledge that is going on in their heads while doing so.

"thread was perfect": you mean the mating part screwed on? a perfect thread is one that is within the tolerances for its class of fit as to pitch, minor and major diameters. its quite involved to make, mainly depending on the type of tool used.

ASME Imperial UN Thread Calculator (Inch)

if you just want a thread that wil work go in by 50% of the fundamental triangle height and start trying.

Corn --

I have long preached to those who want to cut screwthreads about the practical importance of understanding their fundamental geometry. Being a Californian, I focus on the most common threadforms used in the US over the past century and a half or so, with which start with the obsolete 60 degree Sharp-V thread form from which the other common threadforms -- the Sellers, Unified, and ISO Metric -- descend.

I realize that this copy-and-pasted posting from the archives is long-winded, but I believe that its contents will help your understand what you are trying to do. I will also suggest that since you're working on a Unified threadform, you work in the threadform's native unit, the inch, until you have answers . . . then transform the answers to millimeters if needed.

I hope it's clear enough for you to follow. If not, post back and I'll try to answer your questions:

Measuring the inside diameter of an internal screwthread doesn't tell you the Minor Diameter of the screwthread, but may provide a reasonable approximation of that screwthread's Tap Drill Size, and adding the measured screwthread Pitch to the inside diameter may provide a reasonable estimate of the screwthread's Major Diameter.

I wrote this essay more than a decade ago, to explain the fundamental geometry of today's most common screwthreads, and have posted it on this and a number of other bulletin boards since then:

A sound understanding of screwthread geometry makes it MUCH easier to understand threadcutting.

I wrote the following essay to explain the geometry of the most common screwthreads; it's long, but I think it'll be worth the time for you sit down with a pencil and pad of paper and make sketches as you read through it:

There are three different forms of screwthreads that have been in widespread use in the industrialized world in the last century or so that we should talk about here, and probably several dozen more forms that I'll tactlessly ignore. All three of these threadforms -- the Sellers (aka Franklin Institute, National, American National, and US Standard), the Unified, and the ISO Metric -- are descended from an earlier form, the "60 degree Sharp V".

The 60 degree Sharp V threadform has been obsolete since the 1800s, but it provides a good place to begin our discussion.

Let’s start by imagining a bolt with a 60 degree Sharp V thread. Now imagine that we cut that bolt lengthwise, so that the plane of the cut contains the central axis of the screwthread, and then look closely at the profile of the thread in the plane of the sectioning cut.

If we were having this discussion over a cup of coffee in the breakroom, I'd be drawing sketches to show you what I'm trying to explain. Since we aren't, though, you might want to get out a pencil and paper and try to make your own sketches while I talk.

The Sharp V screwthread profile looks like a row of equilateral triangles, each with one side resting on a straight edge with their points pushed together. All sides of these triangles are the same length, so the “points” of successive triangle away from the straight edge are separated by the length of the triangle side . . . we'll call this distance The Pitch of the screwthread.

There is another row of these little triangles on the opposite side of the sectioned bolt, offset along the length of the bolt by a half Pitch, with their not-on-straightedge points pointing in the opposite direction from the first row's not-on-straightedge points.

Following so far? Ok, now lightly draw two parallel lines, one connecting the away-from-straightedge triangle points on one side of the bolt and the other connecting the away-from-straightedge triangle points on the other side of the bolt. These two line are separated by the Major Diameter of the screwthread.

The on-straightedge sides of the two rows of triangles are separated by the Minor Diameter of the screwthread. The away-from-straightedge points of each row of triangles are off of the straightedge by the Single Depth of Thread, which is The Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees.

The Double Depth of Thread is twice the Single Depth of Thread, 2 x The Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees. The Double Depth of Thread is also the difference between the Major Diameter and Minor Diameter.

If you were going to cut this thread on a lathe using a single-point toolbit with the compound rest slewed to feed along the flank of the screwthread, and assuming that you zero the compound when the sharp point of the toolbit just touches the already-cut-to-Major-Diameter workpiece, you'd have a complete threadform when you'd fed the tool into the workpiece by a distance equal to The Pitch. After all, all three sides of each triangle are the same length.

While the geometry of the 60 degree Sharp V screwthread is nice and simple, it has practical problems. The sharp point on the toolbit breaks or wears very quickly, the sharp ridges at the Major Diameter of bolts and Minor Diameter of nuts get banged up very easily, and the sharp grooves at the Minor Diameter of the bolts are "stress risers" weakening the bolt. By the 1860s the American industrialist and machine tool builder William Sellers proposed a modified version of the earlier threadform, one with 1/8 Pitch flats at both the Major Diameter and Minor Diameter, as a new standard.

This new threadform, the Sellers threadform, was fairly well accepted, but it didn't actually become the official US Standard threadform until well into the first half of the 20th century.

So let's modify those sketches. The general spacing and angles stay the same, but the new profiles have flats instead of sharp points at the Major Diameter and same-size flats instead of sharp grooves at the Minor Diameter. Both flats need to be 1/8 Pitch long, which reduces the length of the angled flanks AS MEASURED ALONG THE AXIS OF THE SCREWTHREAD to (Pitch - 1/8 Pitch at the Minor Diamter - 1/8 Pitch at the Major Diameter) = 6/8 Pitch = 3/4 Pitch.

The length of the flank is reduced by the same ratio, and the other Pitch-dependent calculations are adjusted accordingly.

Flank length (along-flank infeed using slewed-to-feed-along-flank compound rest) for Sellers threadform = 3/4 Pitch.

Single Depth of Sellers Screwthread = 3/4 Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees.

Double Depth of Sellers Screwthread = 2 x 3/4 Pitch x Cosine 30 Degrees.

The Sellers threadform served the US's needs well enough until World War II, when the difference between the United States' and the British Standard threadforms created major logistical headaches . . . British equipment could only be repaired with British-standard hardware while US equipment could only be repaired with US-standard hardware.

Once WWII had been won, the US, Great Britain, and Canada (which, interestingly enough, had fifty years of experience struggling to supply the appropriate British Standard and US Standard hardware when and where needed) put their collective heads together to develop a single standard that all three nations would use. To "share the pain" of forsaking a traditional standard screwthread, a new threadform was developed that both the US and Britain would need to learn to use. This new threadform was called the "Unified" threadform, and it incorporates the easier-to-tool 60-degree angle with flats at the Major and Minor Diameters of the Sellers screwthread, but with different proportions.

A decade later, the fundamental geometry of the Unified threadform was incorporated into what could be considered a metric version of the Unified form intended to replace the various European national standard threadforms. Since the International Standards Organization developed and promoted the new metric standard, it was christened the ISO Metric threadform.

The major difference between the Sellers and Unified threadforms is that the length of the flat at the Minor Diameter of the Sellers threadform was doubled to 1/4 Pitch for the Unified threadform. The flat at the Major Diameter of the Unified and ISO Metric threadforms is the same as the Major Diameter flat of the Sellers threadform, 1/8 Pitch.

So, for both the Unified and ISO Metric threadform the axial length of the flanks is reduced still further to (Pitch - 1/4 Pitch at Minor Diamter - 1/8 Pitch at Major Diameter) = 5/8 Pitch.

Flank length (along-flank infeed using slewed-to-feed-along-flank compound rest) of Unified and ISO Metric threadforms = 5/8 Pitch.

Single Depth of Unified and ISO Metric threadforms = 5/8 Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees.

Double Depth of Unified and ISO Metric threadforms = 2 x 5/8 Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees.

Minor Diameter = Major Diameter - Double Depth of Thread.

Well, that's the basic geometry of these screwthreads.

As you've already pointed out, the dimensions of real hardware are properly perturbed by allowances and tolerances. External screwthreads cannot be larger than the dimensions derived from the basic geometry, and internal screwthreads cannot be smaller than the dimensions derived from the basic geometry if the external and internal screwthreads are to fit together. The along-flank infeed calculated from the basic geometry assumes that the Major Diameter of the to-be-externally-threaded workpiece is right at the basic Major Diameter AND the flat on the toolbit is the proper width (1/4 Pitch for Unified and ISO Metric threadforms, 1/8 Pitch for the Sellers threadform) . . . or that the Minor Diameter bored into the to-be-internally-threaded workpiece is right at the basic Minor Diameter AND the flat on the tip of the toolbit is the proper 1/8 Pitch width (any of the three threadforms we've talked about).

As for the charts . . . even though the Unified threadform replaced the Sellers threadform as the official US standard threadform a half century ago, many of the tables in various "reference works" have been carried forward from edition to edition with values appropriate to the Sellers threadform.

John Garner

Since the OP is not in North America I will point out that Imperial threads are called out by pitch. Meaning the number of threads in one inch. Metric threads are called out by the distance between the threads. They give the same information just measured in a different way.
Bill D

Most of the traditional / heritage threadforms of Great Britain and the United States are "inch-based", and the sizes of these screwthreads made in these threadforms are described in terms of their Diameter and Number Of Threads Per Inch (typically abbreviatedN as TPI, but sometimes as N). Number Of Threads Per Inch" is NOT Pitch, but is instead the reciprocal of Pitch . . . expressed as an algorithm, Number of Threads Per Inch x Pitch = 1. This algorithm can also be expressed as Pitch = 1 / Number of Threads Per Inch.

In contrast, most metric-heritage threadforms -- specifically including the ISO Metric and JIS Metric threadforms -- and the sizes of screwthreads made in these screwforms are described in terms of Diameter and Pitch.

Sorry, this is already old thread, forgot to reply back. @John Garner thank you. That is the most comprehensive explanation I have found. And your formula:
“Double Depth of Unified and ISO Metric threadforms = 2 x 5/8 Pitch x Cosine 30 degrees.”
Is spot on. I'll keep that in mind and no more guesswork.

Back