What's new
What's new

Thread: DC motor question / making my own ceiling fan

vonleyser

Cast Iron
First I don't know why my question / thread was closed. Is this not posted in the general section.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/dc-motor-question-making-my-own-ceiling-fan-383654/

Second thanks to the following

JST

L Vanice

Bill D

wheels17

thermite (The famous / notorious "long bar" at Raffles, Singapore is a replica (then again, so is most of Singapore!)

henrya :o

Strostkovy ( how to control / slow this to a very slow maximum speed of 25 to 35 rpm )I could bolt this
directly to the side of my 5" x 16" ridge beam, & make a adaptor coupling

9100 ( Variac (AKA Powerstat) that I would send you for shipping, Offer still good ?

ratbldr427 (fixed blades, non composite)

Tony Quiring

Thanks to all who contributed information for my project, it is on the back burner but i am still
gathering information for this.

I would prefer a DC brushless motor without belts to keep the whole drive contraption as compact
as possible.

I am having difficulty finding something like a typical pancake style motor for a typical ceiling fan
have run into some Chinese made motors that look like something i could use, BUT that is not an
option for me, going to have to be a USA product

I am going to be building a 8 foot ceiling fan out of an old Aermotor Windmill.

1) so I am looking for low RPM, (max 25 or so ) direct drive DC brushless with some torque & speed control
to it to get this thing up to rolling speed.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Treadmill motor and controls. You can find them at the junk yard all the time if they allow dumpster diving.

Pretty sure most treadmill motors are brush type, only possibility I can think of is an out rotor dc motor, but I'd have to check to verify if they are brushed/brushless.

OP, cannot say I've seen many pancake style dc motors that are not made in china, and even then they are not common. Have you considered the weight of an 8ft windmill prop? The Big Ass fans use a gearbox to run as slow as they do, and lots more support from the bearings involved. Why dc, why direct drive?

Treadmill motor and controls. You can find them at the junk yard all the time if they allow dumpster diving.

I don't think I'd want to be in the same room as an 8ft fan being spun at 1000-4000rpm :)

To the OP - how much torque will you need to get that rotor up to speed (low 10s rpm?). Figure that out and use that to find a gear reduction DC motor that will provide that torque figure (or more). How much room do you have in the ceiling? You may be better off with a gear reduction box and a 2 or 3 speed AC motor hidden away in the ceiling. This isn't a trivial engineering problem, that's for sure.

Back