What's new
What's new

Thread Dimensions: M54 x 2.0

tmcgh

Plastic
Hello,

I am in the process of reverse engineering a part and will need to machine a M54x2.0 external thread but I can not find any dimensions in terms of major, minor, or even pitch diameter. I have seen taps and go/no go gauges online so I know this thread exists but I haven't been able to find any information about it in my bible or browsing online. :angry: Does anyone have any information about this thread?

Thanks!

Well that's pretty embarrassing... I didn't even think about looking for a calculator. Thanks.

Hello,

I am in the process of reverse engineering a part and will need to machine a M54x2.0 external thread but I can not find any dimensions in terms of major, minor, or even pitch diameter. I have seen taps and go/no go gauges online so I know this thread exists but I haven't been able to find any information about it in my bible or browsing online. :angry: Does anyone have any information about this thread?

Thanks!

how about taking the dimensions of a standard m16 and adding 38?

I don't know what your "bible" is, but Machinery Handbook has specs for metric pitches, by pitch. A 2mm pitch is around the middle of the list so it is neither the largest nor the smallest and far from both.

You have the OD, 54mm so all you really need to do is apply the 2mm thread pitch to that number, using the drawings in MH and you should have it all, including target values, allowances, and tolerances.

It is all there. It does take a bit of study.

I don't know what your "bible" is, but Machinery Handbook has specs for metric pitches, by pitch. A 2mm pitch is around the middle of the list so it is neither the largest nor the smallest and far from both.

You have the OD, 54mm so all you really need to do is apply the 2mm thread pitch to that number, using the drawings in MH and you should have it all, including target values, allowances, and tolerances.

It is all there. It does take a bit of study.

MH is good but "doesn't have it all".

I have found this calculator useful as it allows the thread class to be put in.
Metric screw thread: M Profile calculator

just put in you diameter, pitch and tolerance

Still I think owning a Machinery Handbook is good . they are 30 bucks or so in ebay.

Interesting link. I wonder how much more will be added over time? I see there's more than "just" threads. As I have ThreadPal I'll stick to that for my thread info but now have "yours" as an ikon on my computer :)

Again, I'd use MH the same way I'd use a phone book. Helps me in the right direction but as far as thread info goes then it very rarely has all I need.

I just noticed the calculator I posted in post 9 does not give the crest or root flat or radius.
also does not give over wires information for metric threads.

So very lacking with those missing.

but for Imperial threads the information is given.

Agree most seasoned machinist know the figuring but it seems the calculator should post the numbers or the math.

Pretty sure ThreadPal has this information..

Back