What's new
What's new

Thread forming taps....best prices?

dkmc

Diamond
I'm looking for 1/8 NPT - small shank- (.312) thread forming taps. MSC has them (Hertel) but $55 seems a bit steep and it seems they are the highest priced on most anything now days. A bit of Googling didn't really turn up much. Anyone here use them? Source?

I don't know the price but Balax has them. They are generally excellent taps at a reasonable price. If you request it you can have them drop ship the tap you want with the coating you want, no one seems to stock their taps with any coating, and the proper coating makes a big difference with form taps. The cost of the taps don't go up much and the shipping is reasonable.

Try msc discount code EMAIL25 for 25% off. I wold guess you need a good tap collet to drive an NPT form tap. I use interrupted cut taps for that.

I've never used a form tap for tapered threads. That sounds risky.

As far as regular form taps, I like OSG or Balax. They have a good selection of H sizes so you can get the pitch diameter and minor diameter right. Most of the others like Morse, Greenfield, etc just stock H3s. I can never get those to gauge right.

I'm willing to test them out.
This is .840 od steel tubing, about .340 id.
Holes tapped down the length. Not thru holes obviously.
Been using interrupted thread TiN coated for years.
ID hole packs with chips, PITA to clean out.
Tapped with an Ettco tap head on BP mill.

I've never used a form tap for tapered threads. That sounds risky.

I agree. Pre-threading dimensions (diameter, taper etc.) will have to be pretty exact plus use of a controlled max force.

While I'm at it price would probably not be high on my priority. Not always of course but low price usually suggests inferior quality.

Back