What's new
What's new

Thread ID - metric equivalent of 1/8 MPT?

BobM3

Cast Iron
I have a ruptured air hose on my Hardinge VMC. The spindle taper release cylinder has a push to fit tube connected to the cylinder. Thread is a bit smaller than 1/8 pipe. What would the metric equivalent be? It's tapered and I tapped a 1/8 FPT into a block of aluminum and the fitting seemed to fit but a 1/8 MPT fitting is a bit too big to get started in the cylinder hole.

Metric threads on McMaster page look to be straight with o-ring seals. This fitting is definitely tapered and real close to 1/8 pipe.

I think you got it L Vanice. It makes sense with what I am seeing with my 1/8 MPT fitting. I see McMaster has some BSP fittings-they also add the "MPT" classification to it so it becomes a BSPT 1/8 Pipe or a BSPT 1/4 Pipe.

bsp(p) (european g) and bspt (european r) are whitworth. (inside they are the same.)

I think you got it L Vanice. It makes sense with what I am seeing with my 1/8 MPT fitting. I see McMaster has some BSP fittings-they also add the "MPT" classification to it so it becomes a BSPT 1/8 Pipe or a BSPT 1/4 Pipe.

NPT, not MPT... National Pipe Taper.

I always assumed USA npt was 60 degree thread form? Just because I never measured it and everything that is not British is 60.
Bill D

Back