What's new
What's new

Thread Rolling - Material Help

eric@velmex

Plastic
We are in the process of replacing our old through feed Seny roller in the shop with a new piece from Reed due next month. I am trying to weed through years of "this is how we've always done it" to get some idea on WHY.

We were rolling 303SS which after talking to our die maker is a terrible material for thread rolling. I've got some 304 in to test with but its a bear to work with and likes to break the thread dies.

I've contemplated some 4xx series but we really need the non-martensitic properties of 3xx series.

Looking for anyone thats found a reliable grade of SS to thread roll.

You are probably running way to slow. SS has to be done FAST because of the strain hardening. What size and TPI are you running and RPM?

Ed.

We are in the process of replacing our old through feed Seny roller in the shop with a new piece from Reed due next month. I am trying to weed through years of "this is how we've always done it" to get some idea on WHY.

We were rolling 303SS which after talking to our die maker is a terrible material for thread rolling. I've got some 304 in to test with but its a bear to work with and likes to break the thread dies.

I've contemplated some 4xx series but we really need the non-martensitic properties of 3xx series.

Looking for anyone thats found a reliable grade of SS to thread roll.

I roll tap 304 and 316 with no problems.

I also know the guys at Reed Machinery. They are very knowledgeable on what they do. Ask them. I was told I could thread roll SS just like any soft steel with the A22 3 die roller. They told me the threading dies would have a shorter life span but they would roll just the same.

we run between 1/4-40 and 1/2-10 4 lead acme.

The new reed machine we spec'd does between 0-100rpm. They told me that slower gives a better finish.

We have always sent our thread rolling work out so I do not know the particulars as to difficulty of the operations involved but I used to get 303 and 416 heat treat done 100 lengths (12 footers) at a time . They charged me no premium and I saw only one bad spot on one bar in all the orders, it was on the 416. Sizes were 3/8 24 for the 416 and 5/16 24 for the 303.
Material back then was from Carpenter so it was premium to make machining operations easy.
We also used to swage shop made cable fitting, 303Se could be cold worked a lot without work hardening, maybe for your acme threads.

Back