What's new
What's new

thread subscription as spam

friesen

Cast Iron
I'm not sure why, but for me Gmail is now interpreting all practicalmachinist subscription alerts as spam. Perhaps the admin needs to review the mail server settings? I'm not sure who to contact about it.

It tells me:

Be careful with this message
Gmail could not verify that it actually came from practicalmachinist.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.

Simple solution.

Open a browser, open PM and log in.

That way no need to wonder whether an email is legit or a phishing scam. I do that for ALL emails that ask me to click on a link.

"If you want to be sure, go in through the front door"

Best advice I got many years ago when the internet was still unknown to most people.

Same for me, been happening in my business Gmail for a couple of weeks I think.

The solution is to go through your spam inbox and click 'not spam' on all the emails. If you do this enough it will ask you if you want to send a copy to Gmail's spam quality team and you can say yes to make sure it gets reviewed and hopefully fixed...

They might have rolled out a new rule that caused the emails to get marked as spam, or a number of users might have manually marked PM's emails as spam, which caused the system as a whole to re-classify them.

EDIT: just realized it could be what friesen was alluding to as well, PM's email sending host has had their IP blacklisted. If it's a multi-user system it could be because another user was sending spam, or it could be that the PM server has gotten compromised and is actually sending spam?

I never checked their IP for blacklisting. I tried mulitiple times to click not spam, it isn't working for me.

This is pretty much why you don't use shared hosting. Or if you aren't and your are getting on a blacklist, make it a priority to figure out where you are compromised, been there done that.

Email is hard. You can pay for google to handle your email. The last shared hosting I used some years back had like 300 domains on one IP.

The mail forwarder doesn't have a reverse dns entry. This is bad, but not a certain indicator of spam.

Google and Yahoo! like to make things difficult for everyone else's mail setups without bothering to follow accepted standards themselves.

Bah! Humbug!

:cheers:

Mail Header comments added by my server said:
Received: from [161.47.38.170] (helo=917145-db6.losasso.com)

Content analysis details: (1.5 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
0.2 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level
mail domains are different
1.3 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS

EDIT: just realized it could be what friesen was alluding to as well, PM's email sending host has had their IP blacklisted. If it's a multi-user system it could be because another user was sending spam, or it could be that the PM server has gotten compromised and is actually sending spam?

It has had a lot more wrong with it than that!

WHEN I was still using the old boxen in the HKG rack - SMTP MTA "R&D" antispam servera of my own - PM was tossed off the IP teat in milliseconds at SMTP "CONNECT" off the back of flawed credentials. It would be, yet today, but not until SMTP HELO.

They get through NOW because the leased server lets stuff pass SMTP DATA then scans content.

The old server had no need of scanning content. It didn't put potetential s**t in its mouth to begin with let alone swallow it!

:D

I use Justhost for my business email and web-hosting. And the past week I had a lot of emails kicked back (from MS, google, and another); it happens sporadically in the past, but usually is corrected. Supposedly they block IP addresses and ports when they detect certain numbers and frequencies of emails as bulk/spam originators (and they probably use other metrics/reports as well). So if the hosting service has "customers" sending spam, your IP address can get lumped with those. When I notified Justhost, they switched my email routing which seemed to clear it up. Being cynical, I'm also suspicious this may be a way for MS, Google, Apple to force folks to use their email services. No thank you, I don't want Google "handling" my email.

LOL! Happens there is a great deal more to it than "IP address". Not going to ask you to read the whole development saga. ISTR the folders on my MUA showed I had contributed over 58,000 posts as emails, and was but one among several hundred contributors.

Mind it was more than a dozen software projects as well - and over 20 years.

Tiny snippet of what would have rejected even a PM "chatter" newsletter:

(helo=bisque.mypinpointe.com)

"mypinpointe.com" is what trips kick-out as blacklisted.

Well-known adver-hooring engine. Read it and weep:

http://www.mypinpointe.com/

"Permissive recipients only"?

Oh, surely! And they won't cum in your mouth, ears, eyes, vag, or anus, the check is in the mail, we've never had this problem before, just "trust me!"

GMail? You use GMail? Don't you realize that Google stores and USES every word of every GMail that they have ever had go through their system.

Have you ever looked at a satellite image of Google's campus? Is is spread over many city blocks. And that is only ONE of their locations; they have others. What do you think pays for all of that? They SELL your "personal preferences" to any and all advertisers who are willing to pay for it. And heaven only knows who else. Send an e-mail with the words "auto insurance" in it and you will be hit with a dozen or more offers from as many insurance companies the next day. Talk about SPAM; that is the heart and soul of it.

GMail, like all the other Google services, may technically be free, but you certainly pay in the loss of privacy.

Doesn't your ISP offer e-mail service? Mine does. And at no extra charge.

Given that I want to have my own domain name, is there an option to avoid shared hosting short of setting up an Apache server?

Yes, there are lots of options!

Shared hosting is not necessarily bad, as long as you pay a little extra to make sure you get a dedicated IP address for your slice of the shared web-server.

Honestly it has been a fair long time since I actually went to the extent of managing an actual host machine for one of my websites. Ultimately I recommend going with some form of managed service unless you're willing to accept that learning how to setup a website is a real skill in of it's own... For my e-commerce I use Shopify, for simple static websites I use Github's website feature (not an option I would recommend unless you're a programmer)... I have friends who have had good luck with things like Squarespace for a simple website builder.

Ultimately I would not go the DIY route unless you're willing to invest significant time in learning and setup. Going the managed route where you use someone else's interface to setup your website is a lot simpler, and they will generally do a better job of ensuring it stays secured and so on... The downside is that you have less ownership of the system. Just make sure you have backups and know how to move them elsewhere if need be.

GMail? You use GMail? Don't you realize that Google stores and USES every word of every GMail that they have ever had go through their system.

Have you ever looked at a satellite image of Google's campus? Is is spread over many city blocks. And that is only ONE of their locations; they have others. What do you think pays for all of that? They SELL your "personal preferences" to any and all advertisers who are willing to pay for it. And heaven only knows who else. Send an e-mail with the words "auto insurance" in it and you will be hit with a dozen or more offers from as many insurance companies the next day. Talk about SPAM; that is the heart and soul of it.

GMail, like all the other Google services, may technically be free, but you certainly pay in the loss of privacy.

Doesn't your ISP offer e-mail service? Mine does. And at no extra charge.

Your ISP will treat that email service they provide like a cost center. They want to spend as little on it as possible, it costs them money to provide it. I trust ISPs about as far as I can throw them in terms of hardening their systems/hardware. I have talked with/dealt with the system administrators that work in those companies to administer those systems and they are over-worked and underpaid.

Google treats GMail like a profit center. It makes them money and they treat it like it does. System admins at Google make more money than god, it's honestly ridiculous. They have an insistence on digital and physical security that borders on the ludicrous, and their multiple redundancy of data and servers means you could literally wipe any random data-center of theirs off the face of the earth and nothing would be lost. I have only ever seen GMail have an outage ONCE in the ~16 years that I've been using it.

Yes I am aware that they use data they mine from emails to help target ads. Ultimately having 100% reliable access to my email is incredibly important to me and so far I have found it's worth the cost. I have no objections to going with another company that specifically provides high-reliability email as a service, no issues at all there. But you could not pay me enough money to entrust my data to a less reliable host like an ISP.

Folks think that they have 100% reliable access to their email from google? Gmail is blocking untold emails, with no explanation of why, and the sender and recipeint may not even get a notification they have been rejected. This is not the RECIPIENT blocking, but Gmail doing so based on who-knows-what BEFORE it reaches the recipient. I have had no reliability problem or data-loss, with hotmail (20 years, have a paid account now), nor justhost (10 years+, except gmail now more often randomly blocking emails to people I have sent numerous emails to for years). Even if Justhost is originating spam "somewhere", if google's AI and algorithms are so smart, why can't it figure out that email to people in regular communication over a long period (and by topic/content of an email thread, the previous email going thru fine, since they're reading the damned emails also for cripes' sake ) is not "spam" (answer, they really could not care less, particularly from other ISP's). And, if their data is lost, or there is a "glitch", do they think they will ever even be able to get ANY response/action from google?

Why people let google (with google mining their email content itself) and facebook, et.al. mine their personal data to be pimped to anyone and everyone for who-knows-what purposes (not just advertising by a long-shot), currently and in the future, is a mystery. All for something that is "free" (the "customer" being the "product"), when they could spend a couple of bucks a month to reduce/prevent it. Geesh, google even states in their terms of service they can use ANY data for ANY purpose, with no liability, including confidential business communications.

I'm about to start a new tactic on my email, since sending TO gmail is becoming so unreliable, and there is no transparency from Google. I may just set my email to not accept any mail FROM a gmail account, with a message saying that since gmail is randomly blocking my communications to their gmail address, they will need to send email from a different account, and provide me with an alternate account, or call me. Why should people put up with googles' covert, opaque, secret shenanigans because others choose to use their "free" data-mining and pimping "services". I also do not use google as a search engine any longer, nothing but an add, paid-result, and spam-factory itself that takes too much time to wade thru. It's sort of ironic, google supposedly secretly and opaquely "protecting" people from spam, while being the largest spammer (and/or spam-facilitator as it were, reaping huge profits from it) and targeter in the world; google: "...the only "good" spam, is any and all the spam we get paid for, directly or indirectly..."

So, according to you, Gmail is the only email server that mines data ad sells data from emails? LOL

On another topic, all of the email notifications that I have received from PM recently are marked as spam. I filtered them and had them sent to my inbox. Wonder what's going on there?

Dev team here - we are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it.

Thank you for your patience!
PM

If you ever get the opportunity to run an email server, you will soon realize that spam probably outnumbers legitimate mail 100 to 1.

Gmail obviously has to pay for their service somehow. Their spam filters are very good. However, they probably reject some stuff entirely. Generally though in my experience, if you set up a mail server and try to dot most i's, as well as keep off the blacklists on mxtoolbox, they will go through.

I nowhere said Gmail is the only data-mining, tracking, etc. activity. However google, facebook, etc would not even exist today without data mining having been their primary business model, as well as complete opacity on what they are mining, and what they are doing with that data (other than they can do anything they like). Mining people's email *content* however is too far IMO, and should not be allowed.

Don't forget Yahoo.......

I'm not sure why, but for me Gmail is now interpreting all practicalmachinist subscription alerts as spam. Perhaps the admin needs to review the mail server settings? I'm not sure who to contact about it.

It tells me:

Be careful with this message
Gmail could not verify that it actually came from practicalmachinist.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.

I noticed this morning that the PM emails now go to my inbox and not spam!

Kevin

Back