What's new
What's new

Threaded Aluminum square bar stock?

Avadon77

Plastic
Hey all,

I'm wondering if square aluminum bar stock exists 3/8" wide by 1/2" tall that would have 8-32 threaded through holes uniformly/incrementally laid out going down it's length. If you're having trouble picturing it, think electrical terminal bar. Does such a thing exist or would I have to find someone to mill this for me. What I'm trying to do is use the bar stock as a stand off. So far I can only find standoffs that have one threaded through hole. And what I'm looking for is a long strip where I can use 8-32 machine screws to bolt two pieces of sheet metal together separated by 1/2" clearance. This way I don't have to have to use the same stand off hole (top and bottom) for the two screws. A longer bar would allow me to use a full length 8-32 x 1/2" long screw in one hole holding one piece of sheet metal, and in the next hole over I can use another different 1/2" long screw to hold that plate. Instead of using two .250 long screws going into the same stand off. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help.

eaton-grounding-bars-gbk21cs-64_1000.jpg

Make up a proper drawing and post it down below in the manufacturing resources section.

Easy Peasy

cordless drill, center punch, drill bits and taps. maybe simple green or wd40 once you get the hang of it. a ruler, forgot the ruler.

Time consuming by hand, but a CNC mill would make quick/easy work of it.

Buy hand expect perhaps .005 error in hole locations but that should be OK. A bench drill press likely better than a hand drill.

Im not clear on "Stand off" or what it will do..if to hold sheet metal for welding/drilling ..What.

how long?
Tell the guys here whet you intend and they may have other ideas for you.

Last edited:
Hi guys, the pieces are 6.125" [6-1/8"] long. I'm thinking that if I drill them by hand that the holes won't be very precise. I think I'll draw up sketch of it and post it. Thanks,

Hey all,

I'm wondering if square aluminum bar stock exists 3/8" wide by 1/2" tall that would have 8-32 threaded through holes uniformly/incrementally laid out going down it's length. If you're having trouble picturing it, think electrical terminal bar. Does such a thing exist or would I have to find someone to mill this for me. What I'm trying to do is use the bar stock as a stand off. So far I can only find standoffs that have one threaded through hole. And what I'm looking for is a long strip where I can use 8-32 machine screws to bolt two pieces of sheet metal together separated by 1/2" clearance. This way I don't have to have to use the same stand off hole (top and bottom) for the two screws. A longer bar would allow me to use a full length 8-32 x 1/2" long screw in one hole holding one piece of sheet metal, and in the next hole over I can use another different 1/2" long screw to hold that plate. Instead of using two .250 long screws going into the same stand off. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 264774

Not exactly what your after, but might be made to work... Nut Strips

Not exactly what your after, but might be made to work... Nut Strips

Wow those are exactly it. I searched everything I could think of but never put into google "Threaded Strip." Though I put every other conceivable terms I could think of.. threaded bar rectangle tapped aluminum yada yada. Those strips look great but they're not the dimensions I need
unfortunately. I made up a small schematic. I'll post it in the resources section as others suggested. Thanks for the help everyone.

Threaded_Standoff.jpg

I would be willing to make some if you have a good drawing. How long? What hole spacing? How many do you need? Who picks the alloy? Time frame?

Hey all,

View attachment 264774

Grounding bar available at Lowe’s and Home Depot for about 7.00 each.... all day long. I just bought a couple the other day.

Back