What's new
What's new

What do you think of this Duff mill?

Domodude17

Aluminum
All Homer Simpson puns aside. This mill isn't too far from me, and right now the price would be about $1300 delivered, although it may go a little lower. I have a 9" southbend, but this would be my first mill.

Pros: 3/4 scale bridgeport style, fits in my shop (smaller footprint). Variable speed, power downfeed, comes with a few collets. Ways don't look to be in terrible condition. Spindle is allegedly very similar to a bridgeport spindle, so a conversion to R5 tooling may be an option. A few people have done this mod already. Delivery is available, so I don't need to fuss around with renting a trailer and transporting/moving it myself (no experience with that). Price

Cons: Uses obsolete D5 tooling, will need to make adapters for a drill chuck, boring head, ER-32 Collets, etc. No powerfeed. Mill isn't under power to test run. Ways don't look to be in great condition. Parts may not be available if needed. 3 phase machine, so a VFD will be required which may make the machine built in variable speed redundant. A few apprentice marks on the table.

20191118144406572_L.jpg20191118144406607_L.jpg20191118144406709_L.jpg20191118144406744_L.jpg20191118144406500_L.jpg

Ha, wasn't sure how protective i should be (or not!) I did receive a few photos from HGR that arn't on the listing, mainly the Y axis ways and the small amount of damage to the table.

CS15.jpgCS16.jpgCS17.jpg

Buy it!! It'll be a great long lasting project, something you will always a chance to make parts for and work on. A project that never ends!/s

Although it is kinda cute.

Ha, yeah its smaller stature is probably the biggest thing that attracted me to it. I can't fit a full size machine, and the non-chinese hobby machines that do come up for sale are usually either insanely priced or move in a heartbeat-sometimes both.

Ha, yeah its smaller stature is probably the biggest thing that attracted me to it. I can't fit a full size machine, and the non-chinese hobby machines that do come up for sale are usually either insanely priced or move in a heartbeat-sometimes both.

I don't have anything good to say about "MMSO" (Milling-Machine Shaped Objects) AKA DUMB hobbyist "mill-drills" .... but

..I don't see a lick of ADVANTAGE over that lot to this rig at all. Only orphaned tooling DISadvantages.

I've never understood this big concern over parts. Unless you are busting castings, the great majority of the time the part is not too difficult to make or a commercial item...if they even need any parts. Most machines I've bought, arrive with all the parts, you clean, lube and run ....or you tear down for a reconditioning and make whats needed/buy new seals and bearings, etc.

In today's BS world of so called obsolete parts (that is NOT what obsolete means, they're not obsolete, you just decided to stop making it and f**k all your customer over every 5 years) even on a new machine it doesn't mean parts are going to be available.

oddball tooling otoh, unless it came with every imaginable bit of it, I would definitely pass

On the odd ball tooling front, it seems like one could make or adapt a ER32 collet holder to what ever the spindle taper is and handle pretty much any tooling that machine should handle, outside of morse taper drills maybe. Assuming you put a 1/2" or 3/4" straight shank on your boring head and maybe a drill chuck

Edit: I guess larger double ended endmills would be out.

According to the article on Tony's site the earlier models could only use tooling up to 5/8". The article doesn't address whether the newer models like the one you're looking at can accept larger tooling. If it can only use the smaller tooling I would see that as a negative. As for switching the spindle to R8 I'm sure it could be done, but at what cost?

Here's a link to the write up about Duff machines on Tony's site:

Duff Milling Machines

Back