What's new
What's new

Threading inserts for parting blade?

D.D.Machine

Stainless
I have a part I want to single op but I have to reach down the back side about .25 to run a 32TPI thread ,, non of my normal tools well do it and I have been hand grinding .08 parting inserts to do it but hand grinding them gets old fast.

I think the chips are gonna hit each other, and your
missing some clearance (somewhere, just not sure at the moment)

Not sure if you are doing this on a CNC or manual lathe. If CNC with live tooling, a single point thread mill is another option if the difference between the largest OD and the thread diameter are not too great.
A couple of other source of thin long reach inserts are Engineered Tooling Co. and MaxBar. I use both in my gang tool machines but their Swiss type tool holders could be used in a manual machine.

The part is held in the main and sub and it long not easy to do in a second op. It runs good but its just finding stock tools to thread behind a shoulder. I would think someone would be making threading inserts for parting tools?

The part is held in the main and sub and it long not easy to do in a second op. It runs good but its just finding stock tools to thread behind a shoulder. I would think someone would be making threading inserts for parting tools?

Look for the "stand up" style of thread inserts. I think theyre TNMC

They do. The tools I was using for cut off and turning also hold threading inserts and I needed some thin ones and just ordered them. The 2 companies holders may not fit your needs but ThinBit and may be others might. You might need to change cut off holders if no threading tools are made for the one YOU are using.

Seco indicates they have threading inserts for their multi direction turning tools. Member JAshley73 here works for Seco and should be able to help you if that's actually the case.

I've seen some threading tools in a local plant of an aircraft engine manufacturer that would easily reach behind a 1" deep shoulder, but I have no idea who made the tool. I was just glad I didn't need one :D But, yeah, something is available for sure.

Back