What's new
What's new

Threading with a partial profile bit. What other choices besides ...

rons

Diamond
This is the insert I have with an Iscar holder.

11ER A60 K20C INSERT – chpeters.com

The tip can fit in a .010 square box. An upside V in a square box. Observed under pretty good mag (50x).

How does one get an accurate root length in the range of threads that these bits are advertised for.
For example, a 1.25mm pitch requires a root of Pitch/4 = .0123. The bit is about .005 wide at the tip.
Is the approx value of .005 (1/2 width of square box) ok to use?

Better to:
1. Plow in farther to get the required width. At the expense of extra removed metal. The bottom will not be flat but V shaped.
2. Before the thread is finally done, back out diagonally (29 degree method) and then back in with cross slide for another pass to cut the back side of the thread.
3. Before the thread is finally done, adjust compound to right (90 degree method) and then cut the back side of the thread.
4. ?

Signed by,
Mr. Refuse to stock every kind of insert available. And the tool was bought just to get snug up close to a shoulder. :cryin:

(A DRO would be nice wouldn't it)

I don't worry about thread root width with these inserts as long as the pitch diameter is achieved, and get at least the minimum thread depth. IF your customer specifies a root width or going by the standard, and the customers checks and inspect this feature, then you will have to side step the threading tool when the proper depth is reached.

EDIT: Or get the proper width threading tool for a given pitch to cut the thread with..

I don't worry about thread root width with these inserts as long as the pitch diameter is achieved, and get at least the minimum thread depth. IF your customer specifies a root width or going by the standard, and the customers checks and inspect this feature, then you will have to side step the threading tool when the proper depth is reached.

EDIT: Or get the proper width threading tool for a given pitch to cut the thread with..

Been holding my breath if I was not doing stuff right. Because I duplicate some parts made from CNC machines the process is not like how they do it.
A process of trimming down a hex head, drilling a hole, boring a step, taping the internal stepped hole, reverse part and cut external thread.
Screwing up at the end makes all the previous operation just practice. Hope I don't have to have a third practice round.

Back