What's new
What's new

Tile saw for cutting carbide?

Kurt6464

Plastic
I'm looking for an easy, cheap way to cut double ended carbide mills in half. Has anyone tried using a wet tile saw with a diamond blade to cut carbide?

It works fine. The trick is holding the tool and use a thin kerf blade for porceline. I only have cut 1/4" shanks held in the drain slot at the front of the table using a trashed ultra cheap blade. It works but is sketchy/risky as hell.

I thought that it may work well if I could figure out a way to hold the tool semi-safely. OR...I could just buy some rigid R8 holders for double end mills. I have access to inexpensive double end mills and would like to be able to cut them in half.

I thought that it may work well if I could figure out a way to hold the tool semi-safely. OR...I could just buy some rigid R8 holders for double end mills. I have access to inexpensive double end mills and would like to be able to cut them in half.

Create a plate fixture with a V-groove, and strap clamps to hold the end mills at both ends. Cut a slot past the end mill location that is significantly wider than the saw blade and then just "cut the tile".

Back