What's new
What's new

Tilt column vs. tilt head (bench-top mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip

Aluminum
Considering a bench top mill and have read that these smaller imported units with adjustable column base have potential flex or alignment concerns. Intent is to have a hobby use mill mounted on a wheeled cabinet (lack of space for a large unit).

Is a head flex unit more desirable versus the column tilt units or should both be avoided specifically on these smaller units? The reason I ask is because the unit below has caught my eye and has head tilt.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-25mv/

Thanks

Sorry but the site owner has forbidden discussion of hobby type machines here.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

"Note this is the is the Manufacturing Forum, not the home shop machinist forum. And while all levels of "how to" metalworking or woodworking questions regarding technique are welcome here, we are drawing the line at discussing manual "home shop grade" Asian machine tools and hand tools."

This thread will likely be locked soon by the moderator.

no little machine going to be rigid or able to support high hp
when you tilt machines unless its got a gearing when you loosen bolts it can swivel or drop fast cause its heavy. thus fine tuning alignment and the ability for it to hold position under cutting vibration some do better than others.
when machine sections weigh tons literally cause of the weight they tend not to move so easy under cutter vibration
if i setup a 2 ton part on a large milling machine often i just have to box it in or prevent it sliding across the table., its not like its going to go up cause it weighs tons. just saying little small light weight machines have a lot of problems cause they are little small light weight machines

Very nice machine for hobby wood milling and drilling holes off the dials for location .. Not very good for milling steel or cast iron. not even very good for milling aluminum.

There are bench mills that are heavy duty and take little space. likely for the same price as a hobby machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back