What's new
What's new

Tilting rotary table. Do I need one???

Laverda

Cast Iron
I already have a 12" Yuasa rotary table. I have been offered a 10" Yuasa tilting rotary table. I have never run in to a situation on my Bridgeport where I needed a tilting table.

So the question is there anything it can do I can't do already? As I will be burning over $100 of diesel to go get it, is it even worth going to get it?

You already know you're going to get answers like this. Depends on what you're doing. I'm of the mind set that you can never have too much tooling. That tilting table is really heavy too!But you can do some really tricky stuff on it you can't do on anything else. Be sure you have a way to get it on and off your machine. You know you want it, so go get it!

Are you a hobby shop or a for profit business? If the former if you want it go get it, if the ladder if you don't need it why would you waste time and money to get it?

Are you a hobby shop or a for profit business?
There's an additional division, are you a tool hoarder?

I'm sorry to admit that I am a tool hoarder. I have bought so many tools that I forget what I have, and coming across them while looking for something else I congratulate myself for such fine taste in tools. The trouble is they almost always sell for less than the purchase price when you sell them and take up space while in the interim.

The diesel fuel alone would make me say no. With a little creative fixturing on your flat rotary, I would think you could do most anything you wanted.

I already have a 12" Yuasa rotary table. I have been offered a 10" Yuasa tilting rotary table. I have never run in to a situation on my Bridgeport where I needed a tilting table.

So the question is there anything it can do I can't do already? As I will be burning over $100 of diesel to go get it, is it even worth going to get it?

If you only do hole making operations on off axis planes, you can usually accomplish that with the tilting head of the mill. But if you have to mill pockets on those same planes, then you have to tilt the part whilst leaving the head vertical. One thing to consider might be how much vertical space the thing takes up when mounted on your mill table, and how much room that leaves for the part and the tools.

For particular jobs it might be handy. I've never had one though, and when I needed the capability of tilting the part, I found a sine table rig was better so that I could use a tailstock.

My first rotary was a 12" Nikken that had a worm to tilt. Very useful for some jobs but is a pain to move around at 96kgs and is a bit big for a bridgeport sized machine. I leave it set up on a small radial drill with a chuck mounted, it seems to be a good fit. Great for a job shop.

There's an additional division, are you a tool hoarder?

I'm sorry to admit that I am a tool hoarder. I have bought so many tools that I forget what I have, and coming across them while looking for something else I congratulate myself for such fine taste in tools. The trouble is they almost always sell for less than the purchase price when you sell them and take up space while in the interim.

"Sorry to admit?" Grow a pair and stand TALL!

It is we hoarders whose estate sales at two-thirds of a cent on the dollar power each successive generation of American "smallholder" tool-ups!

A noble calling, that! The poor buggers can't tool-up their beloved Old Iron off the back of rusty Chicom disk brake rotors our goods wudda otherwise ended up as.

Be proud!

I bought a snazzy Tsudakoma tilting/rotary table because it was at a tool sale for scrap price in gorgeous condition and I couldn't resist it. I made up a bunch of t-nuts for various workholding screws... ready and waiting for a job now for a couple years but I keep it oiled so it stays pretty. The way the axes move and bind with the slightest turn of the locking bolts is a real pleasure.

Rotab-wise, the plain old horizontal sees regular service- got a couple chucks and other odds and ends to mount on it as needed.

The 16" - which is usually on the machine - let me put in these lube passages at just the right angle with not much fiddling around

No rotary involved - but a nice adjustable "angle plate".:)

Attachments

• DCP_0641.jpg
    DCP_0641.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 162
  • DCP_0642.JPG
    DCP_0642.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DCP_0643.JPG
    DCP_0643.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 121
A good wind blew up just after midnight last evening. A 80 foot tall maple broke off with a crash not 60 feet from the house. It fell "going away", so no worries. Electrical power went out until first light this morning.

A 10 inch tilting Ro-tab sitting on the floor in the corner of the shop would be just the thing to keep the building from blowing away under such conditions!

;-)

The 16" - which is usually on the machine - let me put in these lube passages at just the right angle with not much fiddling around

No rotary involved - but a nice adjustable "angle plate".:)

Thats what I was talking about. Creative fixturing.

OK, here's mine; glad I checked it, some flash rust and it needed reoiling too. Over the summer a pleasantly cool night and morning was followed by the typical Eastern US hot & humid swamp weather so I had a lot of condensation all over everything in the shop. Thankfully I caught it only a few hours in and though the cleanup was extensive nothing was substantially damaged.

Wrt the tool- note its secured in both orientations depending how you want the 2 axes. A bit too big for the Bridgeport I think but maybe it'll come in handy someday lol...

Attachments

• small-20181017_220426.jpg
    small-20181017_220426.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 128
  • small-20181017_220515.jpg
    small-20181017_220515.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 125

Back