Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gary,
    Give your best effort to get through this bullshit, and yes, it's time for you to move on. Leaving a job is a critical process.

Your best work, should be your last work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    I kind of live in an employment hole in the middle of NJ. Finding a job I like is important, Iím almost 68 and I work because I like to work. An hour commute each way so Iíd like something closer.
    Did you post that you were going to be working with a family member (nephew) and he was going to chauffeur you to work?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíve been at this job for 1-1/2 years and I donít think I can take much more. A few months back I got permission to bid on a Fadal 3015 and won the bid. We paid for it and the vendor packed it up for shipping and while waiting for it I gave him a list of tooling needed to make it efficient for the maintenance and replacement part work we need to do. At the last moment he orders me to cancel the machine and get a refund!

I told him how bummed I was going back to saws and files to make parts. He then accused me of being distracted by Ďshiny thingsí and said I spent more in the bid than he authorized. After managing projects from $250K to $2M in my past jobs a limit of $100 without written permission is just insulting.

Now I am rebuilding a brand new drilling machine from China purchased without controls because the previous smaller machine has been a disaster with bad controls. That machine has not made it through a single day without a problem that takes all my time to fix. Last crash knocked all 5 spindles out of alignment. The new bigger machine has 16 spindles!

He started conplaining the new machine was taking to long and I told him the other chinese machines were wating my time. He got upset that I was concerned about MY time being wasted! Then he said he was calling my bluff and I was to just work on the new machine and I had to have it done by July 6th and running. I did the mechanical design in SolidWorks on an office PC that complains about resources constantly. I made a number of parts on my homebuilt CNC to get them quickly. I am doing the electrical design. I am doing the wiring of the 3 servos and 8 VFDs, and assembly with two unskilled helpers I am training at the same time. I am doing the PLC programming and precision alignment of 16 spindles and the 16 clamps that hold the pipes for drilling.

This machine replaces two 20 and 30 year old manually operated machines. I figured out how to automate it such that we eliminate so much labor it pays for the entire machine in less than a year. Now he wants it to be strictly manual without ever seeing if the simple automation actually works!

What happens July 7th? I have heard rumors of other guys like me that could pull this off, but I have never met one.
    No way I finish by
    Well yes it seems very true that with this impasse you should accept that you are found in that position. Given the fact he allowed you to make the deal on the machine and that you dutifully even made all the arrangements tooling to make it functioning and profitable you get the rug yanked out from underneath you.

He changes course from what he told you and he is blaming you for it. What is his damn problem you might be wanting to know? Well his problem may be obvious yet under the current situation it only matters to you. He might have just balanced his checkbook that morning and realized he does not have the money or he became fearful.

He makes the final call. If you stand your ground and be professional about it and you do not take it personally you will come out of this in good shape. Time to leave given how he sold you down the river when you only did what he asked you to do.

He can change his mind yet if he punishes you unjustly for it he is cruel and unreasonable. A descent boss will not act crazy. Be firm and respectful do exactly what he. Asks even if you feel wronged. Once you get out of there just say he made a change in decision which was his call and that from what you saw and did it looked like sound business sense and you could see it clearly.

You did what he asked you to do likely flawlessly. You can not control his concerns when he balked and the man could be right or wrong - not your need to figure it out. As he has treated you wrong. Time to exit in a strong and understanding manner. Do not take the excessive blame yet let it be known it is just a matter. Of following his decision process under his control.

You will be remembered as someone who knew the right thing to do and did it yet when the time came to complete the deal he nixed it. That is the way the ball bounces. Get over it shake it off and move on. Yet learn from it. Especially in regard to being able to spot flakey ownerships or managers. That way you can leave before things blow up on you - maybe.

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, two days a week my grandson chauffeurs me to work and we talk about life. He is my assistant. Just love it!

Came in this morning and found out the boss tosed the weldment in the dumpster to insure it would never get used! The maintenance guy fished it out.

I had a very civil conversation with my boss this morning and he reiterated that he wants to operate the machine manually so the operator can inspect every part. Just like they have done on the old machines for the past 40 years. Not paying attention, not actually inspecting, not caring, not mentioning a drill bit broke 2 hours ago, not putting the part in right, the list is endless. Just like it has been for 40 years, which he reminded me multiple times.

What was really funny was half an hour later his son was impressing a customer, showing the machine and explaining how it was going to be completely automated and make a better product!

I have actually been doing a fabulous job here. A servo actuator with no factory repair and an 8 week delivery I rebuilt in 5 days. Two cutters came in from China that didnít work at all and they now make the best cut he has seen in 40 years, his words. The Chinese punch machine broke down constantly. I finally cut it in half and tossing half the mechanism, doing all the welding myself. I redesigned the drive system and reprogrammed the PLC so it now works flawlessly. I donít apply bandaids I fix things correctly or not at all. Literally everything I touch has been hugely improved.

Iíve mentioned getting fired and some people here think I am a problem employee. Iíve only been fired one other time, because I accidently found out about the illegal stuff my bosses partner was involved in. Feds put him in jail a short time later. The other jobs I walked away from? I actually worked part time for a couple of them when I was between jobs.

So yeah Iíve got one foot halfway out the door and a couple of promising leads.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wish we had a guy like you here for automation...our current guy couldn't get a toy windmill to work in front of a fan...

7. Likes RC Mech, SShep71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have actually been doing a fabulous job here.
    I think this may indicate that the 'hat size' has something to do with some of the employment problems. I don't think I have ever tooted my own horn so loud on a public forum...but I'm just a simple millwright so what do I know.

And to add insult to injury...if I was shit canned or constantly fighting with my boss or coworkers, I sure as hell wouldn't advertise it here..that's big hat size stuff again.

To me, it's akin to saying..wow, I met this chick at the local bar and she gave me a dose of the clap!

Stuart

9. Likes Garwood, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not happy, Go get the other job that pays as just as well or better.
    Is there a duh in this?
    One also has to think about how green the grass nextdoor and why.
    I do expect many to leave me. Sometimes it works great and I love it and sometimes not so much and very bad things down the road.
    Life is choices and who knows where it can and will run.
    Bob

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guy I knew ran a pretty successful business,until he started having problems with his teenage kids......then he started all the crazy 'Im the boss' stuff at work that he couldnt at home....I said to him once he needed to step back and look at what he was doing ...he just flew off the handle ,and I avoided him after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Start your own shop you fuckin’ baby. Put some skin in it or shut the fuck up.

13. Likes meowkat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by workin stiff View Post
    No need to be a dick

15. Likes barbter, RC Mech, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    I think this may indicate that the 'hat size' has something to do with some of the employment problems. I don't think I have ever tooted my own horn so loud on a public forum...but I'm just a simple millwright so what do I know.

And to add insult to injury...if I was shit canned or constantly fighting with my boss or coworkers, I sure as hell wouldn't advertise it here..that's big hat size stuff again.

To me, it's akin to saying..wow, I met this chick at the local bar and she gave me a dose of the clap!

Stuart
    [ I met this chick at the local bar and she gave me a dose of the clap!] that reminds me of a guy i worked with that told us a story about when he was in nam and one of his buddy's in his co. was crying about getting the clap from one of the hookers . [that bitch gave me the clap ! he tells him . his reply back . she did not give you a dam thing you payed her for it ]

17. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Guy I knew ran a pretty successful business,until he started having problems with his teenage kids......then he started all the crazy 'Im the boss' stuff at work that he couldnt at home....I said to him once he needed to step back and look at what he was doing ...he just flew off the handle ,and I avoided him after that.
    [or a good reply would be your not talking to your wife now]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by workin stiff View Post
    The guy knows more than you probably ever will. His skill-set is deeper than Santa's sack. And he is 68.
    Most of us can only hope to be in his position at that age. And still have the desire to be so contributing and productive.
    At this point he is doing most anybody that chooses to employ him a huge favor/service.
    And here you are with am ignorant, stupid, fucking attitude? Your are a dickhead.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Automation is nothing. Just finished a turning job at a place Iím leaving that made my hair stand on end. Someone had prepared three jaws for an irregularly shaped steel stamp part 7 mm thick that needed to have an initial round opening brought to a ō 27 mm H7 seat (27 mm ‒ 0 + 0,021). I had to clamp them pieces on a CNC lathe, program time was 45 seconds. When a piece was left under pressure for two minutes or so, distortion was too much. Diameters came out within tolerance but not well round. Nobody wanted to listen to my explanation. Stupidity is worse than COVID, we shall never have a vaccine. Got my second shot yesterday evening, by the way. Feel like two years old porridge in the afternoon sun.

21. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow; I am picking up what your putting down. If where your boss I would be proud to have you, and give you the respect you deserve, more latitude to make the proper decisions. I know it can be a bit scary to make that step to go solo, but from what you have said your ready. If your considerdering burning that bridge, I would nuke it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck in your next job. Finding a good company you fit in well isn't always easy to find and even much much harder if your heart and passion is in the work you do.

Years ago I had a boss tell me the best employees are the ones that are only seen and never heard from. Bit harsh I thought at the time but then I understood a lot of bosses are just out to keep their job and nothing more. The ones that actually care(backed up with action) about the company and people never hold that position for long. Is what it is sadly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

68 and you HAVE to work?...

I think you should reevaluate your life.

Your not going to live forever and you can't take it with you.

When I'm 68 (if I even make it) the only things I'm going to worry about is why the fish aren't biting and how to shoot a better target.

Forgot the stuck in the past bosses!

Retirement is not defeat it's victory!

25. Likes Mike1974, reggie_obe, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive seen some crazy businesses in my time.....starting point is aged father leaves profitable business to middle aged children....then watch the result...or business passes to aged widow ,and middle aged children squabble over it......Brother and sister inherit old timey niche business that is very specialized.....both hate each others guts,and squabble continuously.....business has aged staff,oldest is 90 ,and rides a bicycle to work every day.....The workers are all highly skilled ,and only customer is the Defence Department.....no not merchants of death....they make and repair drums of the musical kind for brass bands....Defence actually fill in the period contracts for them ,and get them to sign .

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all know there is an unwritten rule ....before you quit ,steal enough stuff to start out on your own......And never tip your hand before you play it.

28. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A guy that will run roughshod over you on his way to his next million, isn't worth knowing. I learned that the hard way 30 yrs ago, unfortunately. Those types are very common. Some people are so tight, they squeak when they shit. Even when they're loaded, they're STILL tight. Because they have mental issues.

In your case, most likely the son wants to automate and the old man doesn't. Most likely the old man is in charge and the son is looking to take over. And when the old man finally up and dies, the son will automate -- if the company still exists by then. I've been in several jobs like that.

30. Likes wheelieking71, Trueturning, Fancuku liked this post