What's new
What's new

Time to find a new job

garyhlucas

Stainless
I’ve been at this job for 1-1/2 years and I don’t think I can take much more. A few months back I got permission to bid on a Fadal 3015 and won the bid. We paid for it and the vendor packed it up for shipping and while waiting for it I gave him a list of tooling needed to make it efficient for the maintenance and replacement part work we need to do. At the last moment he orders me to cancel the machine and get a refund!

I told him how bummed I was going back to saws and files to make parts. He then accused me of being distracted by ‘shiny things’ and said I spent more in the bid than he authorized. After managing projects from $250K to $2M in my past jobs a limit of $100 without written permission is just insulting.

Now I am rebuilding a brand new drilling machine from China purchased without controls because the previous smaller machine has been a disaster with bad controls. That machine has not made it through a single day without a problem that takes all my time to fix. Last crash knocked all 5 spindles out of alignment. The new bigger machine has 16 spindles!

He started conplaining the new machine was taking to long and I told him the other chinese machines were wating my time. He got upset that I was concerned about MY time being wasted! Then he said he was calling my bluff and I was to just work on the new machine and I had to have it done by July 6th and running. I did the mechanical design in SolidWorks on an office PC that complains about resources constantly. I made a number of parts on my homebuilt CNC to get them quickly. I am doing the electrical design. I am doing the wiring of the 3 servos and 8 VFDs, and assembly with two unskilled helpers I am training at the same time. I am doing the PLC programming and precision alignment of 16 spindles and the 16 clamps that hold the pipes for drilling.

This machine replaces two 20 and 30 year old manually operated machines. I figured out how to automate it such that we eliminate so much labor it pays for the entire machine in less than a year. Now he wants it to be strictly manual without ever seeing if the simple automation actually works!

What happens July 7th? I have heard rumors of other guys like me that could pull this off, but I have never met one.
No way I finish by

Is it that hard to find another job in new jersey? If i had followed his directions and a boss pulled that on me. the next day i would spend my lunch breaks lining up my next job. Then walkwith one days notice. sometimes you want to burn the bridge behind you. Obviously he doesnt respect you So you owe him no respect go find a job that fits you better.

Now is likely the best time to find a top shop and apply for a top pay and top benefits job...if you qualify for such. You might have to pack up and move to a new location.

But getting your own way is not as important as job security, pay, and benefits unless it is driving you crazy or dumb mistakes initiated by the boss or owner are likely to put the shop under.

Qt: {Then walkwith one days notice.] *Walk from every job with good regard because who knows how the jerk shop or jerk bass can somehow bite you in the ass.

I’ve been at this job for 1-1/2 years and I don’t think I can take much more. A few months back I got permission to bid on a Fadal 3015 and won the bid. We paid for it and the vendor packed it up for shipping and while waiting for it I gave him a list of tooling needed to make it efficient for the maintenance and replacement part work we need to do. At the last moment he orders me to cancel the machine and get a refund!

I told him how bummed I was going back to saws and files to make parts. He then accused me of being distracted by ‘shiny things’ and said I spent more in the bid than he authorized. After managing projects from $250K to $2M in my past jobs a limit of $100 without written permission is just insulting.

Now I am rebuilding a brand new drilling machine from China purchased without controls because the previous smaller machine has been a disaster with bad controls. That machine has not made it through a single day without a problem that takes all my time to fix. Last crash knocked all 5 spindles out of alignment. The new bigger machine has 16 spindles!

He started conplaining the new machine was taking to long and I told him the other chinese machines were wating my time. He got upset that I was concerned about MY time being wasted! Then he said he was calling my bluff and I was to just work on the new machine and I had to have it done by July 6th and running. I did the mechanical design in SolidWorks on an office PC that complains about resources constantly. I made a number of parts on my homebuilt CNC to get them quickly. I am doing the electrical design. I am doing the wiring of the 3 servos and 8 VFDs, and assembly with two unskilled helpers I am training at the same time. I am doing the PLC programming and precision alignment of 16 spindles and the 16 clamps that hold the pipes for drilling.

This machine replaces two 20 and 30 year old manually operated machines. I figured out how to automate it such that we eliminate so much labor it pays for the entire machine in less than a year. Now he wants it to be strictly manual without ever seeing if the simple automation actually works!

What happens July 7th? I have heard rumors of other guys like me that could pull this off, but I have never met one.
No way I finish by

Wow, to be honest, I am jealous of your knowledge. Just do what you can...no sense in killing yourself.

It is funny you bring this up, I was just perusing the Wanted Ads in my area for some jobs, not because I am looking seriously but because I was interested. I found 3 main jobs that would interest me - Lead CNC Programmer, Lead Mill Department, 5-axis programmer. ALL of these jobs were paying $80-100K for the right candidate. Most required 5-10 years experience. Now, you need to be a legit dude to make it happen like these companies want, but all are willing to do at least some onboarding and training.

I dunno what your experience level is, but it sounds pretty high. You sound like you have some high level systems-side knowledge that is incredibly valuable. I would seriously recommend you take a look and see what kind of gigs are out there. I mean, I have heard of PLC programmers making 6 figures to start! Sometimes the grass IS greener on the other side.

I kind of live in an employment hole in the middle of NJ. Finding a job I like is important, I’m almost 68 and I work because I like to work. An hour commute each way so I’d like something closer.

At my last job I had 5 young engineers working under me for 5 years. All but one quit after I left and the last one left two weeks ago for a starting salary of $105K, which is more than I make!

Not gonna last much longer. Had a welder in today welding legs on the machine and welding up the auto rack feeder that I made parts for months ago. Boss saw the welder finishing up the frame and told me to stop. He said we are NEVER even going to try the automation for which all the parts were purchased and is almost totally assembled! I guess I am one of those assholes that can’t tolerate stupid very well

Why do you not freelance?
68? Is your town so big you don't have a reputation? Or so small there aren't shops that need help? (1hr each way sucks!)
Last thing I want to be concerned with when I am 68 is relocating. So I can understand if your just making the best of it.
You have lasted longer with that guy than I would have. that is for sure!

Not gonna last much longer. Had a welder in today welding legs on the machine and welding up the auto rack feeder that I made parts for months ago. Boss saw the welder finishing up the frame and told me to stop. He said we are NEVER even going to try the automation for which all the parts were purchased and is almost totally assembled! I guess I am one of those assholes that can’t tolerate stupid very well

I don't tolerate stupid either. Get out of there.

What part of Jersey? north,south, central?

This is at least the second thread started by the OP relating to being fired or quitting because of something someone else did or did not do..or a supervisor or owners stupidity. Would this be a good time to stand back and do a little introspection, and I'm not trying to be an asshole.

Stuart

This is a very bad time in history to not be able to tolerate stupidity. That applies at every level of every job.

I’m now retired, I think I’ve expirence down to a fine art only to find it surprises me by biting my arse, I think your dealing with the one that you need it in writing off, an email is sufficient, verbal escapes these nutters, they’re as trustworthy as the Washington post ( who also re-edit their articles
I’ve read ) I found they don’t call it work for nothing, sometimes it’s very hard, the hard part is invariably people, if you can’t get it in writing record the twat, they tend to be very wary then
Find a new job,
Shrewd as a snake, gentle as a dove
Mark

If it isn't money I wonder what you are getting out of staying? It seems the only thing that job is doing is getting in the way of finding your next one.

Yep got fired from my last job. Still getting royalties, about $45K so far. So I have been playing real nice. No arguments with the guy next to me that is a lousy engineer and has a really short temper, gets mad at everything. No arguments with the boss either, just do what he asks. The stupid is getting to me.

The guy that gets mad may well be struggling, on the edge of his envelope as it were, older guys who get mad are often displaying signs of early onset dementia, they shout a lot and become increasingly agitated ( like jo B), it is really to much for them, age don’t come alone
Mark

So when a self made machine is complete and automated, who assumes liability for safety procedures and interlocks and God forbid a personnel accident?
Badass skills, BTW. Figure 70% here could do all that. Or maybe just me.

why is it that as REAL machinists, not button pushers - we get fucked over
by corporate douchebags . who consider us drillpress operators ...and
not the ones who earn their salaries for them. they've got their hand on the
phone , waiting to call china on speed-dial.

"operators" don't tool up a production line...don't create tooling ... don't
assign production processes . but get paid shit anyway.

Last guy I worked for was pretty much like that.....but behind it all,he wasnt going to let his grip on any of his toys slip.....everything in the business was his ,no one was allowed to alter anything,because then they might "own "it.....I just played him at his game,because thats what it was,basically did what suited me ,and took it easy......Something I learned 60 years ago ,is dont do any more than what you re paid for......He knew I wasnt working very hard,but he just had to cop it,because I couldnt be replaced......Which was obvious when I quit.

Back