Time to find a new job - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    So when a self made machine is complete and automated, who assumes liability for safety procedures and interlocks and God forbid a personnel accident?
    Badass skills, BTW. Figure 70% here could do all that. Or maybe just me.
    Already been through a personal injury lawsuit. Employees can’t sue their employer or other employees, they can only sue workman’s comp or a company that built or modified a machine. They can sue their employer only if there is willful disregard for safety and this machine is getting safety up the wazoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest is now he wants to Discuss whether materials are actually needed. So that 7/7/21 deadline is simply getting harder to reach. Not going to work any harder than needed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    Latest is now he wants to Discuss whether materials are actually needed. So that 7/7/21 deadline is simply getting harder to reach. Not going to work any harder than needed.
    Owner is now making stupid decisions.

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not meaning to be obvious, but this problem is as old as Mankind: Good (or at least reasonable/responsible) LEADERSHIP is the rarest of things to find. Any Industry, any company, it's a global issue.

By your description, if I read one of the posts correctly, you managed/led 5 engineers successfully, but when you left they ended up leaving as well over some period of time. Seems you may have had some of that right I guess.

I worked in a die cast + CNC Machining company for three years once. The fellow who managed Machining Operations was . . . stellar. He could not only take a Brother CNC machine completely apart and put it back together again (used to work for Brother), he KNEW HOW TO MANAGE AND LEAD HIS OPERATORS and setup engineers. He had it all. The attitude, the good faith & responsibility, and the technical skills, including doing the CMM programming.

Then the Company "started doing things". Managers/Leaders started swapping out, he weathered the storm longer than most others then, eventually, left. You can imagine how things down-spiraled from there. One of his (multiple) replacements went free-wheeling through the floor modifying Chrysler owned gaging fixtures without authorization, a different fellow before him "made his name" by walking the floor and arbitrarily wanking-up speeds and feeds to show the bosses how he, magically, boosted productivity on the floor by 10% almost overnight, no matter the massive increase in blown parts being ignored, etc.

Bottom Line: You sound like you know what you are doing. When it "gets to a point", leave for better pastures. One of my biggest failings in my personal life was NOT leaving when it was time to leave. What I had stuck too hard in my head for a great many years was to stick it out, have some stamina, etc.

The problem was, that was the attitude and story convenient to what I considered "clueless troublemakers" up the food-chain looking down on everyone else.

I should have figured out how to make a more critical decision about when it's actually smart to move on much sooner in my life.

6. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Owner is now making stupid decisions.
    Bosses (and owners) prerogative!
    (although it doesn't make it right... )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds to me like he simply doesn't want this project done, and didn't want it in the first place. Is there a tactful way to ask him that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    It sounds to me like he simply doesn't want this project done, and didn't want it in the first place. Is there a tactful way to ask him that?
    "WTF is your Major Malfunction ?" should doo nicely....

10. Likes barbter, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three things show up to me.
    Age. this should not be a downside but it is when looking for a new and better job.
    Second is that there are so many very good and skilled people that just are hard to get along with or be part of team so don't be that guy.
    Third, be careful how and when tooting your horn. We all like to be proud of what we have done or can do but there are always others better than us.
    Bob

12. Likes barbter, tdmidget, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had plenty of skin in the game for those that think I should start a company. I was VERY successful running the family business, just got bored. I have started companies, twice. First one I was absolutely sure I was doing it wrong so I got help from two different sources, the SBDC and an accounting professor that worked with VCs. I was shocked when they both asked me the same question "How did you create such a well run business?" They also told me that the problem was simply not enough money to handle the cash flow of a seasonal business. So I found a partner and the partner couldn't get it together and I was forced out. Golden Rule: He who has the gold rules.

Second time a customer offered to fund it and I knew he had enough money to pull it off. Two years in we broke even, but he managed to blow every dime he had buying houses for his inlaws so we had no operating capital again. Golden Rule: He who has the Gold Rules. Last job I designed our product and figured we could get it to market for about $300K over 3 years, piece of cake for the owner. Made our second sale and he blew the 100% up front deposit on big new offices in an expensive location. Then took a bunch of loser jobs I begged him not take. Six years and $3 million later he still hasn't turned a profit. Golden Rule again.

In addition to looking for a new job I am also working on a couple of products that are killer. Not looking to start a company this time. I'd like the same deal I have from my previous employer, royalties on sales that go on after I stop working. I don't need to get rich just want to be comfortable and secure. Watched my dad and my mother-in-law blow through every penny in assisted living.

14. Likes jjclear, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Wish we had a guy like you here for automation...our current guy couldn't get a toy windmill to work in front of a fan...
    You are in NJ too? Where do you work? PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    I think this may indicate that the 'hat size' has something to do with some of the employment problems. I don't think I have ever tooted my own horn so loud on a public forum...but I'm just a simple millwright so what do I know.

And to add insult to injury...if I was shit canned or constantly fighting with my boss or coworkers, I sure as hell wouldn't advertise it here..that's big hat size stuff again.

To me, it's akin to saying..wow, I met this chick at the local bar and she gave me a dose of the clap!

Stuart
    I always do a fabulous job and have a long string of products and successes to prove it. My dad told me as the bosses son that if I wanted respect from our employees I'd have to be better than any of them. I even do my very best work right up to the minute I walk out the door. The better to make it painful for them. I have had people follow me out the door more than once. A machinist left right after me and called to tell me he left because his job wasn't any fun anymore after I left. Four of the five engineers under me at my last job all walked in a little of a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always do a fabulous job and have a long string of products and successes to prove it. My dad told me as the bosses son that if I wanted respect from our employees I'd have to be better than any of them. I even do my very best work right up to the minute I walk out the door. The better to make it painful for them. I have had people follow me out the door more than once. A machinist left right after me and called to tell me he left because his job wasn't any fun anymore after I left. Four of the five engineers under me at my last job all walked in a little of a year.
    You're not exactly disproving his point...

18. Likes digger doug, atex57, atomarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting development. At the beginning of this thread I mentioned the VMC I was forced to cancel. We have a part we can’t get from an injection molder. We have material in stock that they can be machined from. Based on the prices for machining 1800 pieces in the next two weeks the used VMC would have paid for itself making just these parts!

20. Likes wheelieking71, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hbjj View Post
    68 and you HAVE to work?...

I think you should reevaluate your life.

Your not going to live forever and you can't take it with you.

When I'm 68 (if I even make it) the only things I'm going to worry about is why the fish aren't biting and how to shoot a better target.

Forgot the stuck in the past bosses!

Retirement is not defeat it's victory!
    Retirement means you do not want to work any more. When a man doesn't want to work anymore his spirit dies, he may live long after, but he is a dead man walking.

Your work is your life, your life is your work.

22. Likes 1yesca, Mr Bridgeport liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting development. At the beginning of this thread I mentioned the VMC I was forced to cancel. We have a part we can’t get from an injection molder. We have material in stock that they can be machined from. Based on the prices for machining 1800 pieces in the next two weeks the used VMC would have paid for itself making just these parts!
    You may wish to let the son point that out to the boss

24. Likes Rob F., charlie gary, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Your work is your life, your life is your work.
    Yours, maybe but many of us aren't one-trick ponies.

PDW

26. Likes camscan, lumley32, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may wish to let the son point that out to the boss
    So true, this is GREAT advice

28. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A guy that will run roughshod over you on his way to his next million, isn't worth knowing. I learned that the hard way 30 yrs ago, unfortunately. Those types are very common. Some people are so tight, they squeak when they shit. Even when they're loaded, they're STILL tight. Because they have mental issues.

In your case, most likely the son wants to automate and the old man doesn't. Most likely the old man is in charge and the son is looking to take over. And when the old man finally up and dies, the son will automate -- if the company still exists by then. I've been in several jobs like that.
    Makes absolutely good sense to me. I am glad someone else thinks this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't ever seen the sons do anything that gave me a good feel about how they feel about the boss, so I've been lying low in that area. Today we were in a meeting discussing buying a scissors lift off Ebay and the boss was asking who could do it. I did NOT volunteer, he burned me last time!

31. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got another interview, 2 minutes from home. Wish me luck!

33. Likes wheelieking71, jjclear liked this post