What's new
What's new

TINY KDK tool holder

67Charger

Aluminum
I just picked up a tiny ENCO lathe, German made, with abot a 5" swing on it. It's metric, and has the tiniest KDK I have ever seen.
Sucker isn't even an inch wide. I have found only one reference to it, and it appears to be a "JLO" size, which is below "00". I am trying to find tool holders for it (max capacity only 1/4"!), but to no avail.

20180218_084832.jpg

KDK made that tiny set to fit WW and similar 100 mm swing watchmaker lathes. They took them out of their catalog quite a few years before they went out of business. They are very rare, probably did not sell well. I think I saw only one on ebay in the last twenty years and it brought a rather high price.

Larry

I wonder if the un named little set for "Hobby type" lathes has the same dimensions ?
RDX Quick Change Tool Post Set for Mini Lathes

It does not have the sliding wedge, but the at least the toolholders (if they fit)
are readily available.

It's odd this tiny set (seen from several suppliers) never comes with any dimensions.

I wonder if the un named little set for "Hobby type" lathes has the same dimensions ?
RDX Quick Change Tool Post Set for Mini Lathes

It does not have the sliding wedge, but the at least the toolholders (if they fit)
are readily available.

It's odd this tiny set (seen from several suppliers) never comes with any dimensions.

Dimensions aside, the sex of the dovetails is opposite that of the KDK.

Larry

Many years ago, I was very fortunate to have found a full set with the 5 tool holders that they made for it which I included a photo below. Very rarely they show up on ebay but with only 1 or 2 tool holders but I've never seen a full set offered. I was extremely lucky to have found this set but I do have an obsession for tiny tools so I'm always on the lookout. I use my set on a Levin lathe.

Patrick

KDK Model JL.jpg

It's not like these things are made using forging dies and costly patterns.

If someone would make up a real drawing, and post it in manufacturing resources
section, maybe a bunch could get together and order say 20 spot's,
and 200 tool blocks.

You guys are a wealth of information... Knowing the history and application has helped a ton. As far as making more, I would gladly loan this one out if someone is looking for a project. I could probably do it, but I am strapped for time.

Kdk jl0

Patrick, I have been using KDK's for many years mainly 100, 150, and 200 series as needed. Just acquired a JL0 post with no tool holders. I still have the set your showing is it possible to get the exact dimensions. I am in the riverside area of So. Calif. Thanks for your time, Dave

Hello dave, did you ever get the dimensions you were looking for?
I have 2 sets of these one on mt levin and one on a derbyshire ME
I also have a catalog with the jl (jewelers lathe) series included.
If I can help , let me know

Hows the interchange with the little bitty Tripan tool holders?

IIRC the 011 size Tripan would be about that, no?

In any case, it's not a huge cutter to cut those dovetails!

I doubt holders interchange between KDK and Tripan.

Dorian also used to make a post for 100mm swing lathes, I made a copy of a friend's when I was a poor student last century, still going strong! Horia started producing a copy of the Dorian around the time Dorian stopped, not sure if close enough that the holders interchange though- I should buy one and see if it fits mine.

Tripan was almost a goner there for a while but luckily someone bought the company and are producing again.

...Tripan was almost a goner there for a while but luckily someone bought the company and are producing again.

I have a handful of Tripan 011 posts and holders and the ones marked Levin, so I watch eBay for them. Just recently, a few sold. Sold prices for the Tripan 011 posts were $203.50 and $238.50 and the 031 holders were $117.50 and $145.84. I saw one of the 031 holders was marked, "Made in France." So is the new owner making them in France, or is there a French clone?

The Tripan 031 and 032 holders take 3/16"/5 mm tools. I think those two are the only holders made in this size. At least, Levin did not offer any other types. The KDK J series had a much wider selection of holders, which take 1/4" tools. I would be very surprised if a Tripan holder fit a KDK post.

Some years ago, a California eBay seller called billchronos sold me a Levin lathe equipped with his own copy of the Levin/Tripan post and holder. I think his work is nicer than the originals. The Tripan parts have milling tool marks on most surfaces and Bill's are all surface ground. I wish I had known while he still had some more holders for sale. He made and sold some other Levin tooling and everything is amazing.

Hard to take pictures of black tools, but here are two pictures. From left to right, a Levin-marked Tripan 011 and 032, an unmarked presumed Tripan 011 and 031 and a billchronos with no name or numbers.

Larry

DSC02873 (2).jpg DSC02875 (2).jpg

I have a handful of Tripan 011 posts and holders and the ones marked Levin, so I watch eBay for them. Just recently, a few sold. Sold prices for the Tripan 011 posts were $203.50 and $238.50 and the 031 holders were $117.50 and $145.84. I saw one of the 031 holders was marked, "Made in France." So is the new owner making them in France, or is there a French clone?

The Tripan 031 and 032 holders take 3/16"/5 mm tools. I think those two are the only holders made in this size. At least, Levin did not offer any other types. The KDK J series had a much wider selection of holders, which take 1/4" tools. I would be very surprised if a Tripan holder fit a KDK post.

Some years ago, a California eBay seller called billchronos sold me a Levin lathe equipped with his own copy of the Levin/Tripan post and holder. I think his work is nicer than the originals. The Tripan parts have milling tool marks on most surfaces and Bill's are all surface ground. I wish I had known while he still had some more holders for sale. He made and sold some other Levin tooling and everything is amazing.

Hard to take pictures of black tools, but here are two pictures. From left to right, a Levin-marked Tripan 011 and 032, an unmarked presumed Tripan 011 and 031 and a billchronos with no name or numbers.

Larry

View attachment 326163 View attachment 326164

Here is their current website. Tripan | Porte-outils de precision

They are located in a predominately francophone region of Switzerland. See "historique"/background. Maybe previous to current owner they were located in France. Or maybe some current production is done in France?

Conveniently for me the browser on my laptop offers to translate...

David

Back