What's new
What's new

Tips for finding first job

GeekBoy

Plastic
I recently finished a one year program at the local community college. Fist semester was manual machining, 2nd and 3rd all CNC using Mastercam and manual Gcode writing. I've been sending out my resume with little luck so far - any advice and tips on trying to stand out as a entry level hire?

Do you know of any shops? Do you have any buddies working in places you might like to work?

Try putting on a decent shirt and making a few visits. I can tell you that as a shop owner, 99% of the resumes that are emailed to me are never even opened or looked at. I just delete them. But, I guarantee if you came to my shop in person I would take your resume and show you around.

Go knock on doors. If you want a job go find one. If the shop your talking to doesn't need anyone do they know anyone who does? Do they think they will need someone in the next few months? Network.

Do you know of any shops? Do you have any buddies working in places you might like to work?

Try putting on a decent shirt and making a few visits. I can tell you that as a shop owner, 99% of the resumes that are emailed to me are never even opened or looked at. I just delete them. But, I guarantee if you came to my shop in person I would take your resume and show you around.

Have you own safety glasses and expect to walk about a shop. Know how to seem confident but not all knowing. Ask some intelligent questions, Be impresses with a thing they are doing, Avoid all slang and bad language. Might mention you had a...(same machine)at the university and yoe enjoyed programming and running it.
Pick up a book on taking an interview. Might say you wish to stay in the area because you are involved in ... a subject or activity the person might think good use of your free time. But be truthful because you might be asked a question about the subject and should know the answer. Mute you cell phone and don't even show it. Notice a checking instrument and say you have the same or ask if that would be the one recommended.. but no bull know your stuff.
Knocking on the better doors first because you might land the better job..Some wanted adds are shops that expect a high turn over and offer little except work time. that is good but the same at the better shop is where you should target.
I love getting drunk and having bar fights...No.

Some of the best advice I ever received for getting a job is as follows in numbered format.

1. Have you shaved today? If not, shave.

2. Is your shirt clean? If not, clean it.

3. Is your shirt a band shirt? If yes, burn it.

4. Do you jeans have holes in the cheeks? If yes, get new ones.

5. Do you smell like an animal? If yes, clean your ass.

6. Do you have confidence? If yes, keep it.

7. Do you have arrogance? If yes, tone it down.

8. Can you learn? If yes, keep learning.

9. Can you answer a question? If yes, always wait for it to be asked.

Hopefully you can see the idea behind this, I could go on but having confidence and looking well kept goes quite a long way.

Awesome tips guys, I'll change my approach. Thanks a lot!

I can tell you that as a shop owner, 99% of the resumes that are emailed to me are never even opened or looked at.

This seems to be the case. Mind if I ask why? I figured it was more efficient to write/email first instead of showing up and possibly interrupting someone's work day...

If you really want a job, why would you not want to see the shop firsthand? See what they do, how they do it.... what they have, etc. No replacement for boots on the ground. If you physically arrive it shows some initiative... any loser can spam mail resumes without any intention of ever taking a job.
don't worry about being a pest..... expect to be to an extent. Most times you won't run into the boss,, you'll see an employee/ secretary/ etc. first...then maybe you'll see the boss.
applications in person always get priority.

Seek out the contract places like aerotech.

Many have a generic sheet where you fill in your interests and another that lists the companies looking for contract labor.

Also seek out an insurance agent for affordable health care as you need to have it and getting a job triggers the gate to sign up or change.

Contract places offer chappy high deductible for high rates and an agent can get good coverage.

Important as that removes the need for full time job and the contract place then can place you easily with a bit less paperwork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Ask for an interview, not a job. Tell the prospective employers you would like them to know who you are so when there is an opening they will consider you. Ask what you can do for them, not what they can do for you.

if you aren't sure where the shops might be you could try and stop into a local material supplier and ask if they know any shops looking to hire machinists? Or just ask where the closest ones might be? Worth a quick visit. Do you have a local ALRO metals? Keep in mind most shops might just say NO and ask you to get out, don't take it too hard that's part of finding a job. Also keep in mind that the chances of you getting a job interview based only on you sending out a resume and hoping to get action is as all have said on here, remote to nil.

Also in your profile on here put a town/city not just New Mexico, you never know somebody on here might just see that you aren't far away and can at least invite you over to see what you look like in the event they have something now or in the future.

This seems to be the case. Mind if I ask why? I figured it was more efficient to write/email first instead of showing up and possibly interrupting someone's work day...

I'm not looking for an employee. I'm not advertising. A resume is just some words that I don't really want to take the time to read.

However, if a guy takes some initiative and comes to see me in person, I'm going to give him some attention. I hired a guy who just dropped in to see me. That was 2 years ago.

Lots of good tips here.

In the old days where you had to get a resume printed and mailed out, it actually took a little effort. Today, email makes it so easy to send out hundreds of resumes at no cost whatsoever. It has reduced the resume to junk mail status.

If you write a resume, keep it brief and to the point. Read it over and make sure there are NO mistakes. Let it sit for a day or two and re-read it to see if you still like it, and check it for mistakes again. When you're happy, let someone else read it and get their opinion. Again, NO mistakes. Why so much emphasis on mistakes? If you're sloppy on your resume, you'll be sloppy as a machinist.

That said, rather than send a resume, send a letter of introduction. Tell them that you plan to be in the area on a certain day and would appreciate the opportunity to come by and introduce yourself. Be sure to include your contact info. You can give them a resume at that time, as well as a list of references.

As mentioned, silence the damn phone. Better yet, leave it in your car! Most employers are pretty fed up with employees playing with their toys rather than working.

Back