What's new
What's new

Titanium properties

Ratz

Aluminum
Can anyone help please.

Lack of knowledge is not allowing me to find answer to my project.

I am building extendable arm, from titanium pipes. Basically it is a pipe within pipe with Derlin bushings for ease of slide.

Even so Titanium appears to be brittle, it is a weight I am concerned with as the project is on a sailboat.

What I am trying to find out if I extend the arm from it’s sheath. Aim is 2.5ft to safely hold 100 lbs. Is there a formula to calculate at what point the pipe bends for 1” pipe, Grade 2, Schedule 40 Titanium.

Second option is a 316 Stainless square tubing as I may take advantage of thinner wall for reduction in the weight.
Same applies here, working out the force/weight at what point failure/bending occurs.

In both cases I would then factor in 3 to 1 safety margin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ratz

Titanium's yield is very close to its tensile, so it breaks if you go much past its yield point. A more ductile material like stainless steel has a much larger yield <> tensile gap, so it is not as "brittle" as you say.

Regards.

Mike

Titanium's yield is very close to its tensile, so it breaks if you go much past its yield point. A more ductile material like stainless steel has a much larger yield <> tensile gap, so it is not as "brittle" as you say.

Regards.

Mike

Thanks for chiming in. I guess my biggest question is to find the formula for given shape and type of material. For economic reasons I just do not like to start ordering any of this exotic materials and then do a trial and error by hanging 300 lbs bag of rocks and see what happens.

Despite the extra cost and lower yield to ultimate strength, Ti is a great choice for marine use due to it's excellent corrosion resistance properties to seawater and chlorides at typical temperatures (below water boiling): Titanium corrosion

So if the clients will be fine with the cost, it's likely better than almost all stainless steels for your needs.

3:1 is not an adequate safety factor in a dynamic environment such as your sailboat.

Back