What's new
What's new

titanium question

Mike Hill

Cast Iron
Is there a way to attach a piece of carbide to a titanium bar such as a silver solder or brazing operation, mechanical means won't work, this assembly will take alot of pounding, current setup is a steel bar with the carbide silver soldered to it. The steel bar has a 60 degree angle cut into it to acept the carbide which has a matching 60 degree angle.

any help would be apreciatted

Not sure what you are making but remember, titanium is as strong, but it flexes more than steel. If this is a cutting tool like a boring bar, it's gonna be a real chatter monster.

heheheh, this sounds interesting! I guess that'll be your teeth chattering instead then? lol. Still not sure how to go about attaching.

TIG welding works well on Ti, maybe not so well on carbide. Soldering or brazing on ti is possible, but only in a protected atmosphere. (= inert gas filled electric oven for example)

Really I'd look for alternative ideas before getting into that.

we have a inert atmosphere welding glove box but a guy would have a tough time soldering in a inert atmoshere, or are you suggesting tiging it with silver solder basically it needs to be stuck together like a sweated joint, we can't have any external welds.
thanks for the repleys and keep them coming
Mike

Mike,
The best way to silver solder TI is in an vacumm furnace. The parts are usually bead blasted, fluxed and a foil strip of silver solder placed between the 2 parts. The furnace is then purged and pumped down before reaching the critical temp. We do both silver solder and nickel brazing in our vacumm furnaces.

Another thing to try would be welding a hard face alloy to the steel runner. We also use a lot of cobalt-crome such as Stellite alloy 6 for high wear applications.
JR

I made some carbides for my sled once and I used a type of silver solder, I have it at work and If I remember on monday I will tell you what it is, One tip on carbide, it can be welded with a tig welder, I wanted an insert cutter repaired once and the guy welding it though it would be ok to keep an insert in it to use as a fence to melt the steel up to. WRONG! the insert welded to the cutter... scrapped the whole thing and bought a new one! probably wont work in your app though, as it needs to be fused along the whole length otherwise the carbide will shatter where it is not attached to the bar.

Check the kind of carbide. Some you can pull along chip off. But that grade is tougher than the hubs if hell.
dont know the contact ratio but low strength/low temp might be ok. We used it in tooling such as a cutoff on a header. Think a straight single cut thru.450 dia stainless a couple of thousand times

Full strength silver brazing is good to 125,000 PSI. Low strength is around 9000 to whatever.

One guy had made the carbide bits for oil drilling.

I dont know the temp you have to watch for titanium, but you cant go to highest psi, but then again you dont need it.

Brownells sells a great flux/solder paste in a siringe, in a couple of strengths. We used the low strength to put the front sights in single actions developing over a foot/ton of energy.

Call if you need any application help.

What part of the runner?
Rob

thanks for the replys jriowa would I be able to send along the Ti host bar and the carbide material to have you try in your vaccum furnace.
the object of this excersie is to make a lighter carbide, the reason for the steel to Ti swap

Back