What's new
What's new

Tolerance in hardened material

Nero81

Plastic
How do you guys make H7 hole in hardened material? +50Hrc.
I reamed hole before hardening, but after hardening hole gets smaller and part band little bit.

Before you try a carbide reamer, try a carbide-tipped one first. The steel body of the reamer may be more tolerant of imperfect undersize holes, but still cut to size as long as the carbide grade and speeds/feeds/lubrication are correct.

You may also want to review the hardening process to see if it can be improved to prevent part bending or other flaws.

If you don’t have enough holes to do in order to justify a carbide reader or honing setup, a carbide boring bar might be a good option.

i clean up small .250 holes in RC63 hardness XHP blade steel with a .251 carbide reamer for folding knife work. the extra .001 and the fact that i do it post HT makes a great fit and function. before i got the reamer i used 4 flute carbide ball end mills and then sanded the pivots a hair for clearance. these hols are not all that deep like no more then 1/4" deep and not blind tho

By far the simplest process in cases like this is lapping. No special equipment needed; can be done in a drill press to ensure the orthogonality of the hole. RC50-55 is not that hard and any fast cutting abrasive will work. Slow rotation with constant up/down feed and not letting the abrasive to become dry. I use aluminum oxide (various mesh) with oil for most of the work, except diamond slurry for carbide and other hard stuff.

Everyone saying hone is great, sure but the hole probably is no longer positional right, hence JIG grind or EDM is a far nice option if that matters, if its positionally ok, then hone is simpler.

If low 50HRC then single point bore with carbide can work pretty well too.

Give me some information on the part. Diameter, length, open or blind, weight of the part. With that I can tell you if it is honable

Give me some information on the part. Diameter, length, open or blind, weight of the part. With that I can tell you if it is honable

It's small part in 100mm lenght with two H7 holes. I think drilling and reaming after hardening would be best and simpliest solution. With carbide tools.

With a reamer you have no control on size or finish. I would recommend drilling soft then hone after hardening. The hone will correct hole geometry and allow you to control size and finish.

Back