What's new
What's new

Tom Senior vertical head

lucky7

Titanium
Have been told that Tom Senior made a 30 taper vertical attachment for their horizontal mills. I’ve never seen one and cannot find any in online searches. Anyone own one, or have pics of one?

L7

I have the 2MT vert head for my M1, but have only ever seen 1 - 30INT and that was all but destroyed.

From memory (dodgy on a good day;) ) they used a different casting - which makes sense as the bottom bearing has to be a lot bigger to accommodat the 30 taper spindle, and there isn't mush to spare in the std 2 MT.

Thanks! Now that I know they exist...

By any chance were they made after Denford took over?

Don’t really need one, but would be nice if one appeared.

Cheers,
L7

Dunno about Denfords etc etc, ..............as for a 30 INT showing up, .....be prepared to pay a small fortune, I've see the 2 MTs sell at £700 + (aka $1000) :eek:

I like having a beefy small horizontal that can tuck in a corner, so the TS will stay. Have no expectations of spare parts being available for a machine that’s at least 40 years old. If a vertical head shows up (not at a King’s ransome!) great, if not it’ll just be used horizontal.

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion- hadn’t even thought of looking there...

And thanks for the confirmation that my friend, who told me about TS 30 taper heads, is not totally out to lunch!

L7

IMHO they're a grand machine, capable of punching well above their weight, ...mine came out of a school in the early 90's and has moved a serious amount of metal since, ..........if (please that day never comes :) )I ever had to choose between my TS M1 and Induma turret (BP clone) I think ??? I would keep the TS.

I like having a beefy small horizontal that can tuck in a corner, so the TS will stay. Have no expectations of spare parts being available for a machine that’s at least 40 years old. If a vertical head shows up (not at a King’s ransome!) great, if not it’ll just be used horizontal.

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion- hadn’t even thought of looking there...

And thanks for the confirmation that my friend, who told me about TS 30 taper heads, is not totally out to lunch!

L7

See Sami's duo. Generally better to have two mills, each good at its H or V tasking annnnnd NOT needing the unproductive time and delay of converting over and back.

Case in point the "Quartet". V head is ALWAYS mounted, but opposite side of the turret from the H spindle. Putting it over the table requires 8 bolts relaxed, the fat tram shot-pin released, and more than just the one crank of the worm gear to swing the turret 180 degrees within its 9-foot diameter path.

PITA, done even once in a while, vs simply stepping a few feet over and using whichever of H or V mill the tasking best suits.

That said, it would not be hard to adapt a head to the TS or design and fab one.

Even if fabbed 100% from scratch, "scratch alloy" is nearly alway cheaper than "unobtanium alloy!"

:)

Said Quartet, for example was blessed by a PO with a K&T all-angle head for its H spindle. Mostly, it is just a steel plate with opposing sides milled to the K&T's expected dovetails.

A more common head, used, a bit of machining, your TS could HAVE a vertical head without a huge spend?

Independently powered head, "router" style, might make even more sense, given the modern prevalence of high-RPM-capable tooling and the generally poor suitability of Horizontal RPM ranges to make decent USE of small and fast goods, even in HSS.

Put another way, a native "ER" system nose might be more real-world USEFUL than either of 2 MT or 30-taper.

2CW

Back