What's new
What's new

Looking for supplier of Nylon 6 or 66 .032 diameter

gwbolton

Aluminum
Fishing line would be fine but certificate of analysis is required. Government job requires traceability. Tolerance is tight .032 +/-.0005. Finished parts are .18 long. I need about 2000 feet. Prefer US made. Thanks.

Thanks Limy. No quote from them unless I request a custom built order and with only about 500m total requirement, I doubt it will be cost effective. If I cannot find it as a stock item, then I guess I will request a custom quote.

If all you need is a certificate of analysis, it might be worth looking at buying what you need and sending samples off for analysis. I know a lab that could do it easily, but I don't know what it would cost; it will depend on what information exactly you need.

You might also check with suppliers of plastic welding wire. I imagine they have certs for everything. 1/32" wire is going to be a tiny bit undersize for you though.

It may be cheaper to redesign the part to use a more available size? Seems like you could draw a slightly bigger size through a die.
Bill D

The drawing tolerances won't allow me to change the diameter. The finished part is actually a "dummy" connector pin used in military equipment and satellite rockets. The part has been made for years by a competitor of ours and his source is secret, at least to us. Spent way too long finding this stuff already, jeez. Thanks though Bill.

I do remember reading about a plane that fell out of the sky because of a missing dummy pin. something about allowed air pressure change down the cable and into a critical elctronics bay.
Maybe you supply the materiel and a wire drawing company draws it to size. Could a small jeweler do this work? they do draw gold and silver wires to size I think so at least.
Bill D

No. Curious, what are you thinking?

I'm thinking they're machined ;-

It's ''only'' <> 6X dia long, …….and IMO could probably be turned from 6mm / 1/4'' precision ground Nylon rod (which I know you can get)

FWIW I can (and regularly) do 4mm dia x 20 mm long in PTFE (ex 16mm or 20mm dia bar) in 1 cut (to maintain stiffness etc etc) on an ordinary South Bend clone engine lathe.

I'm thinking they're machined ;-

It's ''only'' <> 6X dia long, …….and IMO could probably be turned from 6mm / 1/4'' precision ground Nylon rod (which I know you can get)

FWIW I can (and regularly) do 4mm dia x 20 mm long in PTFE (ex 16mm or 20mm dia bar) in 1 cut (to maintain stiffness etc etc) on an ordinary South Bend clone engine lathe.

Good thought but looking at the sample part under high power microscope it doesn't look machined but then again it has most likely been tumbled to break the edges. I am hoping to make them on a four slide machine simply cutting them to length.

Back