What's new
What's new

Advice On Chamber Sleeves Needed

huntingsgr8

Plastic
Earlier this year I machined a set of chamber sleeves, or adapters that enable me to safely fire 12 gauge shells from my 10 gauge, they were time consuming, and I had to make three to get two, but anyways they work. They're steel, and about .040" thick, the outside is machined to fit in the 10 gauge chamber, and the inside is machined like a 12 gauge chamber to accept a shell. They were turned out of something referred to around here, (I specify because I think the term isn't a universal one), as "Superior Shaft". It's cold rolled shaft, chrome plated, and the diameter is accurate to the .001", 1" Superior Shaft measures 1.000". It's a steel that can be hardened, I've made punches for cutting paper disks with it. The sleeves were made to SAAMI specs, and only modified to accommodate the 10 gauge chambers where they were not to spec. The issue I have is that when I fire a shell in these things, it gets stuck, really stuck. I have to beat it out with a dowel, and do my utmost not to crush the sleeve. This occurs because the head of the shell expands to fit the sleeve, and remains that size after firing. This is a common issue with chamber sleeves, but one that I want to try and correct all the same. Some commercial chamber sleeves have a longitudinal slit running down them, these have the least issues when it comes to extracting fired shells. I'm afraid in putting slits in my sleeves though, that I might irreversibly damage them, that the sleeves themselves might get stuck in the gun, or that they won't extract properly. Can any of you give me some insight? For the record I don't know a whole lot about machining, I apologize if I've excessively explained things.

simple buy a 12 gauge

probably what is happening is your sleeve is stretching
and then contracting when you fire.
sleeve is behaving like a shell when fired.
that's what the slit is for to allow the sleeve to open up just that extra bit when ejected
to let the expanded shell come out.

think of it this way that sleeve is thin so it acts like a steel shell case.

Back