What's new
What's new

Tool Holder

Scruffy1949

Plastic
I recently purchased a lathe that came with some tooling. Two tool bit holders (3/4" shank). One is marked and the other not. The one marked is YENNAMETAL NDLPR-124D with a SM414 tool bit. I called YENNAMETAL and they said they did not have a listing for that pt#. I am submitting pics.

IMG_0199.jpgIMG_0200.jpgIMG_0201.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

NDLP is the style of holder, R is right hand, 12 is the shank size (12/16ths, or 3/4").

A quick google says that a Kennametal SM414 is in fact the carbide seat for the insert, not the insert itself.

Kennametal's website is not great at showing insert/holder compatibility, but it looks like you'd want a DPGR insert like this: Top Notch™ Profiling - Inserts

and your holder appears to be an inch version of these: Top Notch™ Profiling - Toolholders

The other appears to be a standard top notch holder, which should accept any of the top notch style inserts from kennametal, tool-flo, or any of the others that have ripped off the top-notch system since the patents ran out. Here are all the top notch grooving inserts from kennametal: Kennametal(R) Grooving Inserts - Deep Grooving Tools For Sale Online

NDLP is the style of holder, R is right hand, 12 is the shank size (12/16ths, or 3/4").

A quick google says that a Kennametal SM414 is in fact the carbide seat for the insert, not the insert itself.

Kennametal's website is not great at showing insert/holder compatibility, but it looks like you'd want a DPGR insert like this: Top Notch™ Profiling - Inserts

and your holder appears to be an inch version of these: Top Notch™ Profiling - Toolholders

The other appears to be a standard top notch holder, which should accept any of the top notch style inserts from kennametal, tool-flo, or any of the others that have ripped off the top-notch system since the patents ran out. Here are all the top notch grooving inserts from kennametal: Kennametal(R) Grooving Inserts - Deep Grooving Tools For Sale Online

Just to piggyback on this topic, I 100% agree that it can be a major pain trying to get to the bottom of what insert I need from kennametal. That being from their website.

HOWEVER I will say that the Kennametal NOVO app has been hugely helpful, specifically when you choose to "create an assembly". So lets say you need a new holder or whatever, but you only know the insert number. Lookup the insert on NOVO and build a tool assembly and it will automatically show you any compatible toolholder/adapter options. I use it quite a bit.

NOVO WebApp

Back