What's new
What's new

tool holder for aloris tool post

porthos

Aluminum
i have a aloris tool post with a bunch of holders. i want to get more for a project, but, wan't something cheaper. what do you recommend; phaseII or shars??

Cheap import holders are okay with an Aloris post as long as you replace the setscrews made of shite. Still prefer used Aloris off eBay though.

Try Allindustrial supply.They have the best price and also have holders with oversize slots.Quality is good,made in China.CXA standard are about $20.ea.

Cheap import holders are okay with an Aloris post as long as you replace the setscrews made of shite. Still prefer used Aloris off eBay though.

I have a bout a dozen Shars holders in the BXA size and another dozen or so in the AXA size along with about an equal number of Aloris holders. While they aren't Aloris they do work. They cost about 20% of the comparable Aloris models. Obviously they aren't quite as nice as the Aloris, and in all probability will only last 40 years as opposed to probably double that time for the Aloris. The only drawback I see as previously mentioned is the setscrews. I replace them before even putting a tool in them.

Most of mine are about 20 years old and still show no signs of wear. The newest are about 5 years old and all are working fine. They don't get used 40+ hours a week like in a production shop. I would guess the most used ones get between 15 and 20 hours use a week.

Aloris has sales on a regular basis. Just watch for the next discount and buy direct. I have some chinese holders but relegate them to tools I don’t use as much. They work, but not as nice as real Aloris holders. Just like the chinese tool posts, not quite as nice in finish or operation. Its been worth moving to the genuine articles.

The OP asked about two currently imported brands known for low prices, not quality.

There is an asian import of Aloris quality in function (but not finish). YUASA, made in Japan. Used and some NOS show up on ebay.

They will be stamped YUASA 740-XXX. I know BXA size is 2XX. I believe AXA is 1XX, CA is 3XX and DA is 4XX.

740-201 is BXA size for a 5/8 square shank
740-202 " " " " with a V grove for a boring bar.

740-204 " 1 inch diameter boring bar, with sleeve for 3/4 in bar.
740-205 " #2 morse taper

704-207 " Cut off blade holder

704-216 " double sided for turning or facing, using triangular carbide inserts.

Try Allindustrial supply.They have the best price and also have holders with oversize slots.Quality is good,made in China.CXA standard are about $20.ea.

Allindustrial is a reasonable source. Their line of toolholders for Aloris toolposts is virtually identical, down to the identical model numbers for the same holders, to Shars', and to that of other dealers whose stock comes from the same source in China. Pricing is about the same. Again like Shars, they also sell a number of Aloris factory items, often - interestingly - priced lower than the prices advertised by Aloris. Example: the Aloris BXA-1 toolholder is $64.87 from Allindustrial, $72.08 direct from Aloris. When it comes to buying holders for an Aloris toolpost, I can't see that it makes a significant difference if you buy from Shars or from Allindustrial. I prefer Allindustrial simply because, to me, it presents just a bit more of an industrial-supply image.

I certainly agree with others that Aloris brand holders are superior to the Chinese copies, but recognize that OP used the word "cheaper".

-Marty-

The only shortcoming other than the setscrews is that the ground finishes in the dovetail aren't real great. The Aloris holders have good flat surfaces and all the same good finish. Looks like they ground them with the O.D. of a wheel dressed at an angle. The (cheap Chinese) import holders I've got have a pretty rough ground surface in the dovetail - enough so that I spent some time with a hone to smooth them out a bit, was afraid they were going to tear up the mating dovetail on the toolpost over time. Looking at tool marks those were pretty obviously ground with the face of a cup wheel. The mating "flat" contact faces weren't very flat either and also pretty rough surface-finish-wise.

So I have been grabbing up used Aloris holders to replace them here and there when I get a chance. YMMV.

Back