What's new
What's new

Tool holder finishes

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
Do you guys prefer the clean look and added rust protection of a nickel or similar plating or do you prefer black oxide? The price difference is really nothing to talk about bc it isn’t much.

does it even matter to you as long as it’s a quality holder?

I have all black oxide cat40’s and being that the machine is inside a climate controlled shop and I keep up with my coolant rust hasn’t become a problem.
Maybe it’s just me but I like for my tools to stay looking as close to knew for as long as I can. Especially with how the price of quality holders not being a major manufacturer.?

I’m asking this bc I’m on the fence with two companies, one sells black er’s and the others are nick plated and the price is a few dollars higher for the latter and I don’t believe you could make a bad choice going with either as I’ve bought from them before just not holders and they both make good tools.

It sounds like it's just an esthetic choice for you - what you like to see in your shop. And it may be interesting to see what others like, but it shouldn't be a vote of others to spec what's in your shop. If you don't experience any accuracy differences and they both hold up in your shop environment, pick what you like and relax. You've made a decent choice.

I think worn and scratched black oxide tooling just looks worn and scratched, but warn and scratched Nickel & Chrome plating looks tawdry - like people just haven't cared.

PLUS, 5 mins on a wire or 3M wheel, and worn and scratched black oxided tooling looks much better.

Just my 2 cents YMMV

All great answers. I’ll probably just stick with the black. I was just curious and since I am about to order more tooling I just wanted to get some experienced opinions.

All great answers. I’ll probably just stick with the black. I was just curious and since I am about to order more tooling I just wanted to get some experienced opinions.

No, no, no. Do not run tool holders with nickel or any type of plating on the taper. First of all it may be too hard. Tool holder tapers has to be within a certain hardness. Too soft or too hard are equally bad. Just one tool holder with defective plating can trash your tool holder taper. Also I have seen lots of nickel plating with micro contaminants imbedded within the plating. That will be transferred into the spindle taper, not good.

Back