What's new
What's new

Tool Holders

Squidmaster23

Plastic
Anyone have any recommendations on tool holder brands? I'm tooling up a new Doosan DNM so I'll need a variety of holders. Most of it will be ER 16 but I'm also looking for a few side locks, drill chucks, SK 16, and hydraulic. The tools I'm holding will range around 3/32" to 3/8". I'm also going to need some pull studs so let me know if you guys have any recommendations for that as well.

Lucas

I'd use something a little beefier for 3/8" size shanks than ER-16. I would suggest ER-32's for anything larger than 1/4" shank tools. If clearance is an issue, ER-25's. To me ER-16 is a bit too weak for anything bigger than 3/16" shank tools. Just my two bits worth. Ken

I just bought er32 for 18.00 each fromCME they looked good to me. He had 25 and 16 also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd use something a little beefier for 3/8" size shanks than ER-16. I would suggest ER-32's for anything larger than 1/4" shank tools. If clearance is an issue, ER-25's. To me ER-16 is a bit too weak for anything bigger than 3/16" shank tools. Just my two bits worth. Ken

Thanks for the advice. Where would you recommend to buy ER holders and collets?

I just got an order from Curtis (exkenna here on PM)
Looks good, G6.3 balanced 15krpm
ER32

I have not spun them up yet, but he has sold lots of them with good luck.

Lathe inserts .com

He has good prices, especially if you buy a bunch.

I’m a one man band and I have sent him many thousands over the last two years and have been happy with all of it. Mill and lathe tooling
740bb4688542738f5288b8d5c7c7bd01.jpg
00541976627cb361b65291d0f73b24b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CAT40 Dual Contact Tool Holders made in USA - MariTool

Maritool has everything you need in one place, collets, pull studs etc..

That DNM is a big plus spindle, so if you want to take advantage of it these are the best quality tools that will work on a budget.
For demanding operations I have a few Big kaiser holders, hydraulic, mega double mill chuck, and a few Nikken.

If your doing precision work stay away from Taiwan or worse yet mainland China tools. But if your doing loose tolerances and don't care about .0001" precision almost anything can work. I have a DNM 750II 50 taper. I have some Techniks collet chucks (a good name in Taiwan tooling) and it was a mistake, Maritool are the same price and far better quality.

For drilling Er 16 is fine as all the forces are axial, but the price for ER 16 is nearly the same as ER32. The only real reason to run ER 16 which is very small is to avoid clearance issues..but most work will be best suited in ER32, ER25..and have a few ER16 for tight spots, and an ER 40 for holding 1.000 shanks if you need to.

If you run carbide drills they run 100% better in an expensive hydraulic holder, the same can be said for demanding operations like slotting. Collet chucks you can expect .0005 to .002 runout..with hydraulics you can expect repeatable .000 to .0005" which makes a big difference.

Maritool.com
Techniks.com

Maritool has taken my money on more than one occasion
Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories - MariTool

I don't know if you can trust these guys. From what I hear Maritool purposefully makes a bad part every once in a while so they can show off their great customer support.

That DNM is a big plus spindle, so if you want to take advantage of it these are the best quality tools that will work on a budget.
For demanding operations I have a few Big kaiser holders, hydraulic, mega double mill chuck, and a few Nikken.

If your doing precision work stay away from Taiwan or worse yet mainland China tools. But if your doing loose tolerances and don't care about .0001" precision almost anything can work. I have a DNM 750II 50 taper. I have some Techniks collet chucks (a good name in Taiwan tooling) and it was a mistake, Maritool are the same price and far better quality.

For drilling Er 16 is fine as all the forces are axial, but the price for ER 16 is nearly the same as ER32. The only real reason to run ER 16 which is very small is to avoid clearance issues..but most work will be best suited in ER32, ER25..and have a few ER16 for tight spots, and an ER 40 for holding 1.000 shanks if you need to.

If you run carbide drills they run 100% better in an expensive hydraulic holder, the same can be said for demanding operations like slotting. Collet chucks you can expect .0005 to .002 runout..with hydraulics you can expect repeatable .000 to .0005" which makes a big difference.

Thanks for all of the great information. I've been buying a majority of my holders from MariTool already so I'm glad that it was a good decision. What kind of holders would you recommend for 1/8 through 3/16 sized tools to use with through spindle coolant?

Almost all tool holders are thru coolant ready I come across.
If you are using small tools for drilling etc. collet chucks are fine as long as runout isn't paramount.
If you are roughing with say a 3/8" endmill I would look into using a sidelock endmill holder/hydraulic/or milling chuck. (Er-32 collet chuck with at least 100ft lbs. of torque)
But I always use my hydraulic for finishing, you can use reducer collets with thru coolant that are nice.
Shunk makes good hyrdo holders and carry small diameters. So you could get a 3/4" hydro holder and hold 1/8 up to 3/4 with collets.

My advice is to order them as you need them IF you can wait. If it's buying all upfront with the machine you should list off exactly what you intend to do with them and people can pick exactly what they would choose.
Example: I want to slot 304 stainless .250" deep with an 1/8" endmill
I would say get a Shunk tendo and this collet, perfect periphery coolant.
Clamping technology
Clamping technology

If you are running an 1/8" HSS drill into aluminum any collet chuck from maritool will do. (if thats all you will ever do taiwan tooling is probably a good bet)

Since this is a big plus spindle I am very careful not to use non big plus in a way that could cause a chip to get in between the flange and be mashed by the next taper taper contact holder. I did a job where I had to do like 150,000" of slotting .250 x .250 deep in 304 for a flooring inlay, first pass with a collet chuck I snapped an endmill off. I switched to a big kaiser hyrdro with a .250 reducer collet putting coolant on the periphery and the job was butter after that. I changed the endmill just in case when each panel I did was finished, but they all looked like new. That's the difference .000" runout and perfect coolant placement can make in a demanding application.

ROFLMAO,
You should have put a smiley on this least people think you serious.
If you were serious I don't even know where to file that.
Bob

I thought about it, but thought it might take away from some of the sarcasm.

Like they say. It's not funny if you have to explain it.

Got a lot of Maritool holders here, ER-11, ER-16, ER-32, and a couple endmill holders. Coolant thru studs in all. Can't find a fault with them. I've also got their induction machine, which is about the most affordable one on the market and does it's job just fine. Customer support is phenomenal.

I started with Parlec holders with a new machine package but wish I went straight to Maritool. The Maritool holders can accommodate much longer shanks as they can call all the way up into the taper as oppose to the Parlec ones. I just like being able to order all my stuff online in one location. I'm so sick of calling for price quotes and calling distributors to order things. Just show me the damn price and let me buy it in as few steps as possible. It may be silly but there's lots of companies I haven't bothered looking into their products simply because of the hassle factor. I just don't want that extra phone call.

I started with Parlec holders with a new machine package but wish I went straight to Maritool. The Maritool holders can accommodate much longer shanks as they can call all the way up into the taper as oppose to the Parlec ones. I just like being able to order all my stuff online in one location. I'm so sick of calling for price quotes and calling distributors to order things. Just show me the damn price and let me buy it in as few steps as possible. It may be silly but there's lots of companies I haven't bothered looking into their products simply because of the hassle factor. I just don't want that extra phone call.

Not silly at all I hate the secrecy of this industry..companies like Haas have it right with displaying their prices.
The one and only Parlec tool holder I have, or will buy is junk though, looks like Chinese tooling..

For the hydraulics, look at schunk tendo-e compact or for more $ the platinums. I carry a cat 40, 3/4” and some reduction sleeves as a demo kit for my customers. Every customer I have left it with for a week to run has bought and continues to buy them.

For drill chucks, I have had good luck with SOWA chucks.

Er collet/chucks rarely do I have any issues with any brand,(Pretty much all the collets themselves come from global secondary sources anyways). Most manufactures will cut you a deal for a volume buy when tooling up, talk to your distributer. If you like american briney is an option and will have studs also.

Back