What's new
What's new

Tool post for 20 x60 Victor lathe

Newt8411

Plastic
I got a Victor 20x60 lathe that measures 2 1/4 from compound to center so I bought the BXA tool post as it says for 3 inches. But it’s not high enough can’t get my holders up to center. Can I shim the post up or move up to CXA I guess. Thanks

I use a CA even on my 14" swing lathe - the 1" shank tools won't fit into the CXA unless you buy the "oversize" holders. It's nice to have that 1" shank sometimes if you need to extend the toolholder for something, and they are pretty common to find in name brands cheap on eBay as well. If necessary it's pretty easy to grind a bit off the bottom of the holder if you need a smidge more room to get down to center. I ground about .040" off some of mine and that was plenty and gave me a little clearance between bottom of toolholder and top of compound. You'll have to check your lathe and see what will fit or if you want to modify anything.

I use a BXA on both my Monarch EE and 18X40 Hwacheon. I have a boatload of toolholders, some std., some custom, and didn't want to have to buy a new set of toolholders. I machined a block to mount the toolpost on the Hwacheon to the exact height center of the EE, so that I don't have to change the adjustment of the tooI holder. I find the BXA is perfectly adequate for the work that I do. I am not peeling .200 chips off of locomotive crankshafts like seems alot of guys here.

Back