What's new
What's new

Tool post

Lollydude

Plastic
Does anyone know what type of tool post this old Tony has on his clausing colchester. ? I thought it was a dickson but I noticed it is a wedge type not piston. I cant identify it.

I don't watch his channel, but if it's a wedge type and not the typical aloris/clone type, and is mounted on a 600 group lathe, then it's probably an Impero.

I don't watch his channel, but if it's a wedge type and not the typical aloris/clone type, and is mounted on a 600 group lathe, then it's probably an Impero.
I looked up impero and I do not believe that is it either

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I looked up impero and I do not believe that is it either

Ok I was wrong it is a impero. Next is trying to find one. I like what I see in that
Yool post.

So why don't YOU post a pix of what you saw ????

Exactly!
Also, a more appropriate and descriptive thread title would have been a good idea!
Like “This Old Tony’s Toolpost”

This video shows it:

QCTP Tool Holders for the Lathe - YouTube

Here’s a crappy screenshot:
6a2d434a19908fe4f1c4cf39a9a736f8.jpg

I have been all over the internet and I can not even find a picture of one like that except for this old Tony's site or video's.

I have been all over the internet and I can not even find a picture of one like that except for this old Tony's site or video's.

That's because Impero folded decades ago, either in the 1970's or '80's, and even then they mainly made toolposts for much larger lathes, so I guess these little ones are pretty uncommon. When I was learning the trade with my Dad he had a Harrison M500 with a full Impero kit.

They are made to a higher standard than most, and have some novel features - I'd rather have an Impero than an Aloris any day, but ultimately I'd choose either a Dickson for utility, or a Multifix for flexibility.

I’ve used both Imperio and Aloris wedgies. Can’t say as I could tell the difference. Curious why a guy would prefer Imperio?

L7

It was the same as the toolpost on my Harrison 12” swing, burglars did a thorough job, they took it along with the holders and tools, surprised the compound was still there, I’ve been meaning to get a bxa or somthing, sick of the 4 way I’m using, the multi fix looked good till I saw the price, I mean ransom demand, bloody hell, I can get a toolpost for a 12’ craven lathe cheaper
Mark

Certainly looks like an Imperio style. I have one of the larger ones, the wedge block alone is probably about 40 lbs. Was going to use it to replace a Aloris size C on a Pacemaker. Look for another brand, nothing that special about it that I see. Probably a lot harder to find holders too (and more expensive).

Certainly looks like an Imperio style. I have one of the larger ones, the wedge block alone is probably about 40 lbs. Was going to use it to replace a Aloris size C on a Pacemaker. Look for another brand, nothing that special about it that I see. Probably a lot harder to find holders too (and more expensive).

Yes for sure Impero holders are going to be very difficult to find, and that is an extremely good reason to choose something else.

My comment about choosing an Impero over an Aloris comes from my experience with both. I've had two lathes with Aloris toolposts over the years and both were worn out in the wedge and the screw. The Impero that I mentioned in my previous post was twice as old as either Aloris, on a lathe that had been used almost to death, yet it had no wear and still repeated to a couple of tenths no problem. In fact my dad still uses that Impero on a Gornati Legoor (which is a really nicely built lathe BTW).

One of the Aloris toolposts I mentioned is still here on a big Mazak hollow spindle lathe, idk which size it is but it takes 1-1/2" square tools and 2" boring bars, and it is worn out to the point that a heavy cut will work the wedge loose.

So my opinion is that Impero are higher quality / better made than an Aloris, and I would choose neither.

My comment about choosing an Impero over an Aloris comes from my experience with both. I've had two lathes with Aloris toolposts over the years and both were worn out in the wedge and the screw. The Impero that I mentioned in my previous post was twice as old as either Aloris, on a lathe that had been used almost to death, yet it had no wear and still repeated to a couple of tenths no problem. In fact my dad still uses that Impero on a Gornati Legoor (which is a really nicely built lathe BTW).

Understood. Yes, I do not know how the two compare for repeatability. I do agree that another option is best for this OP. The one I am using was cheap and came with holders. I think the capacity is a 1 1/2" shank tool, not handy for a smaller machine.

Back