What's new
What's new

Which tool post for a Myford ML10 lathe?

Smi_tty

Plastic
I acquired my first lathe not too long ago -a Myford ML10. I am a newbie to all of this. I’ve done a lot of reading on quick change tool posts. The problem seems to be that the tool posts mentioned require machining to fit the ml10 units - I am just getting into this hobby, and don’t own a mill just yet. I am looking for a tool post with 4 clamping tools (will that suffice for a small lathe like this, or do you recommend more tool holders? Which units will fit without modifications?

Myford ML10, "Pony" & "Warco" lathe The mother load of lathe information.

The ML10 is a hobby machine, so this forum is not the best place to ask machine-specific questions.

As for quick change tool posts, you can hardly have too many holders. And there are so many different types out there that it seems you should be able to find some to fit your lathe. Too bad the standard ML7 Dickson S00 QCTP won't fit, because I have one with ten holders for sale.

Larry

Myford ML10, "Pony" & "Warco" lathe The mother load of lathe information.

The ML10 is a hobby machine, so this forum is not the best place to ask machine-specific questions.

As for quick change tool posts, you can hardly have too many holders. And there are so many different types out there that it seems you should be able to find some to fit your lathe. Too bad the standard ML7 Dickson S00 QCTP won't fit, because I have one with ten holders for sale.

Larry

Could it be modified to work?

How much money are you willing to spend on a tool post? That will really determine where you go.

Do you want to be able to make your own holders? That's another key question.

To determine which post will work for you, you should look at a couple of the different suppliers sites and compare their systems of measuring the height that they use to recommend a post suitable for the size lathe that it is to be used upon. Typically they are looking at the height between the center of the spindle, and the top of the compound, where the tool post mounts.

FWIW, I really like the Tripan Tool Posts, they are compact, reliable, and easy to make spare holders for. A user here on PM, Forrest Addy, experimented with the Create-Tool clones of the Multifix tool posts, and was reasonably impressed. The real thing is quite expensive, the clone far less so. eBay.

There are all manner of copies of the standard wedge and piston lock square dovetail style tool posts out there, likely none any better or worse than the others.

There are also plans available for several different styles of tool posts that are quite fit for use.

Ok it's not a quick change but it does the job. I am retired and speed is not an issue.This is off the lathe right now the milling attachment is in use.
toolpost 1.jpg

Ok it's not a quick change but it does the job. I am retired and speed is not an issue.This is off the lathe right now the milling attachment is in use.
View attachment 279284

Used mine, briefly. Never frikken again! Hated the bloody thing, was constantly stabbing or slashing the back of my hand on the tools sticking out that were not in use.

Used the milling slide on my Super7 to build a sorta clone of a Tripan, and never looked back!
I'm retired too, but life is too short to put up with that kind of crap! :)

Back