What's new
What's new

Tool Protection / Restoration oil

Tool Protection / Restoration oil

What are your recommendations for tool protection / restoration oil?
I know not to use 3&1 oil or WD40.

Starrett’s oil seem pricy so I’m looking for an alternative.

Here is a link to Sewing Machine Oil. What are your thoughts?

Amazon.com: Sewing Machine Oil ~ Lily White ~ 1 U.S. Gallon
Starrett M-1 spray works ok for most stuff. it will put a thin layer on stuff that needs to be wiped off like when used on ring gages.
many contain mineral spirits and asphalt/wax or something similar. designed to put a thin coating on stuff that wont drip off.
astro kote i use puts a thicker layer of asphalt on. obviously the thicker the layer the more protection and the more to wipe off.
petroleum jelly works but never really dries. you touch it it gets on your hands. when warm or hot it can drip off depending on temp
many spindle oils are like kerosene thin like water but enough of a oil to be very slow to evaporate. this is used where a thickness of oil can be a problem. often used in gear boxes the help clean flush a thicker old oil out

had some combination squares still in protective plastic covered with petroleum jelly. everything was rust free other than locking screw which had no protection. 6 squares all brand new all the screw rusted solid
rust protection usually better if using a spray

What are your recommendations for tool protection / restoration oil?
I know not to use 3&1 oil or WD40.

Are you talking about tools in use and hanging on your wall, or tools rarely used in storage?

The subject of rust prevention, humidity control, and rust removal (there is no oil that will restore a tool) has been discussed at length here over the years.

Do a search on: boeshield, lps3, condensation, electrolysis; (one at a time) to get started on finding those discussions.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve

I like to keep all my machines and vises and such slathered in slide oil. Seems to prevent surface rust from forming on humid days. Probably not the best thing for long term storage, but very effective nevertheless.

Anhydrous lanolin is an excellent rust preventive. I think a proprietary protectant called "Fluid Film" is lanolin based. I have used lanolin dissolved in kerosene to produce a very thin coating that protects steel tools from rusting .

I also use old crankcase oil, which is cheaper. Nothing helps much if you have salty, sweaty hands or leave your tools out in the rain.

I also use old crankcase oil, which is cheaper. Nothing helps much if you have salty, sweaty hands or leave your tools out in the rain.
Crankcase oil is loaded with detergents, and I find it allows the water to combine with it....not so good.

Thank you all.
I am adding to my tool collection. I am buying used hand tools. I'm finding the disassembly and cleaning to be fun and educational.
The oil I am looking for would be used for lubrication and rust preventative for Micrometers, calipers, sine bars and the like.
As a side note if you have any good links for tool restoration or rust removal feel free to share.
Back to Youtube I go.

I like to keep all my machines and vises and such slathered in slide oil. Seems to prevent surface rust from forming on humid days. Probably not the best thing for long term storage, but very effective nevertheless.

Slide oil, as in Trombone Slide Oil?

One of my favorites is Marvel air tool oil.

I know several people who've used it on firearms for years.

It is an excellent lubricant, displaces moisture, and tends to loosen light surface rust. It is also easy to get and relatively low cost. Most of my yard sale finds get a going over with it and also with Goof-off adhesive remover if there are paint splatters and gunk.

PS: An old trick for very light cleaning on machinist's tools is to mix some pumice type cleaner (Bon Ami or similar) with light oil and dip the end of a cork into it before GENTLY rubbing on the tool. With care, darkened tools can be lightened without scouring off or blurring the numbers. Always try just the oil first. let it sit a while and wipe off with a soft cloth. 0000 steel wool dipped in oil often will gently burnish off rust. Use as gentle a touch as possible and never be in a hurry. Always use the gentlest methods first before trying others.

Trombone slide oil might work, but what I meant was way oil. I think I have Vactra #2 (?). It is designed to spread over surfaces and leave a thin film. Also makes excellent lube for clock mainsprings

+1 on avoiding automotive engine oil. It is designed to absorb the water in the crankcase when the engine off, the idea being that next time you drive the car the water is driven out of the oil & out thru the crankcase ventilation as water vapor. I once had an air cooled vw that used to get foamy milkshake looking oil from not being driven for long enough daily.

I’ve used the Boeing shield stuff a little and it seems to work ok. Also used fluid film and while it’s a little messy it does seem to protect well.

All of this has been discussed here several times before. Might not hurt to search for old threads. I am sure prior responders are not going to write it all out again.

Denis

All of this has been discussed here several times before. Might not hurt to search for old threads. I am sure prior responders are not going to write it all out again.

Denis
Nooooo....we like doing the same thing over and over and over....helps our ADD
& autism....:nutter:

Denis

And yet you still wasted time to reply. :)
Yes I did search here, other forums and Youtube.
This topic was last brought up over a year ago on this forum. (as a titled topic)

I have yet to see any posts out there on the subject of synthetic oils for this purpose . I guess I should have brought that up.

And yet you still wasted time to reply. :)
Yes I did search here, other forums and Youtube.
This topic was last brought up over a year ago on this forum. (as a titled topic)
...and the oil your using is 150 million years old.

Back