What's new
What's new

Tool Tightening Fixture - BT30 and CAT40 - new design

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
I'm making a tightening fixture in two sizes. One for BT30 (dual contact and standard) and one for Cat 40. The Cat 40 one will fit standard, dual contact, BT40 and BT40 dual contact. The design is inspired by a leading brand. I'm going to offer these at a price considerably less.

I'm interested in any feedback. I'm also looking a couple candidates to beta test the design. I have one of each prototyped to be sent out for testing. If you have both dual and standard and would like to test it, please let me know.

The final product will be plated. The aluminum parts will probably be hard ano and the steel parts will go through a process similar to FNC.

Features:
- Fixture contacts the flange not the actual taper.
- Single dog prevents rotation (steel). It's at the back in the picture. Front side is left open for set screw access.
- Pivoting clamp secures toolholder (will be steel). It is adjustable (for dual contact, etc.) with a thumbscrew on the bottom. If you use primarily one type, the adjustment position can be locked.
- Indexes in 90 degree increments for right of left handed use. 4th position (upside down) is optional and can be enabled easily. It is by default not enabled to prevent top heavy tools from falling inadvertently.

FIXTURE.jpg

Thanks

Im sorry but there has been 4-5 threads about tightening fixtures and all the bells and whistles that go on them.
Out fixture looks like shit, its simple, its horizontal but the best part it works time and time again. no need for levers and dual contact...all your doing is tightening a screw or nut. wouldnt catch me spending dough for one...i needed one for my bt30s, so what did i do???? popped a hole in a plate, made two key blocks and bolted it to the table...hasnt moved in 10 years and still does the job....
jus sayin

No need to be sorry. I've been working on this thing for about a year, last couple weeks almost entirely. I'm happy that the thing is mostly done. The recent threads inspired me to get the thing finished.

Yea I’d be interested in the files too. Looks pretty nice I may consider making one if I ever find the time.

I like it! Would you want to post the assembly on the open source website I'm slowly working on?

I'm hoping to sell them shortly so I don't want to give away the design. It wouldn't be worth it anyway, it would take a lot of time to make just one. Thanks!

Shut up and take my money!

I have a Dorian, it is OK. Doesn't play well with Maritool set screw holders, and Dorian was a junky company to deal with when I bought it. Also, I like new toys.

I like it also how many moneys
Don

I'm looking at retail being 275. I'm thinking to send the first few out at a discount, so 220. Right now, I'm trying to get feedback on the design (still need cat40 volunteer) then I'll need 3-4 weeks to run the first batch and get the parts coated. Thanks for your interest

CosmosK. I would be happy to be a CAT40 volunteer. Also have BT40 and it would be great if it fits both.

So I've been using CosmosK's CAT40 fixture for about 2 weeks now, thought I'd post a comment for the board.

This is a really nice fixture- I honestly can't find anything to complain about. The clamp mechanism is easy to use and the holders are clamped securely, no movement at all.

The height of the clamping cam adjusts easily with a thumbscrew, with enough friction that it is not necessary to lock it in place. I've tested it on standard CAT40, Dual-Contact CAT40, and standard BT40 holders from Mari, Parlec, Techniks, and Lyndex, and it holds every one perfectly.

The indexing is done with a simple spring plunger that is easy to use and locks the position tight. I've used it for both pull studs and collets, and I leaned on it pretty good with no movement.

This is a very well made and well thought out design. I would advise members to get on Cosmos' list if you want a really nice fixture at a very fair price. I haven't used the Dorian, but I can't think of a reason I would pick a Dorian over this one.

It checks all the boxes for me- nice work Cosmos.

Finally got this one done. The final stretch didn't go quite as quick due to pandemic and my wife knocked out a future shop helper.

Many thanks to my fabulous beta testers, jancollc and gkoenig. Really great feedback/info from both. Forum members if you are interested use this code to knock off $50 for a limited time: PM2020

Clear or blue color options. CW for standard holders, CCW for dual contact. It is also adjustable (can be locked out) for holders with v-groove in non-standard location or to go from CAT40 to BT40. Upside down also an option but is locked out by default. Single dog gives access for side locks with set screw in the flange. Dog and Clamp are case hardened steel. Rotator is 7050, other machined parts are 6061 or 7075.

Thanks

Tool Tightening Fixture

BT30.jpg

CAT40.jpg

Attachments

• BT30.jpg
    BT30.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 69
Received today the finish version. These are really well executed Cosmos. :Ithankyou:

Almost too damn pretty to bolt to the workbench! The pictures don't do it justice.

Get'em while you can guys, you won't be disappointed.

Dorian has some competition. :drool5:

Sorry to drag up an old thread but i bought this today!

I was about to drop close to 500 for one off MSC but liked this one better.

I appreciate that it ONLY contacts the flange and not the taper. My current Chineseum changer is god awful for the tapers and leaves marks which is....bad

Looking forward to a well thought out solution

I remember seeing this post earlier in 2020 and thinking they looked amazing but didn't realize you had completed the design. Looks great; just placed an order.

I just ordered on too, in blue :)

I didn’t try the PM code? Is it still good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back