Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tool Tightening Fixture - BT30 and CAT40 - new design

I'm making a tightening fixture in two sizes. One for BT30 (dual contact and standard) and one for Cat 40. The Cat 40 one will fit standard, dual contact, BT40 and BT40 dual contact. The design is inspired by a leading brand. I'm going to offer these at a price considerably less.

I'm interested in any feedback. I'm also looking a couple candidates to beta test the design. I have one of each prototyped to be sent out for testing. If you have both dual and standard and would like to test it, please let me know.

The final product will be plated. The aluminum parts will probably be hard ano and the steel parts will go through a process similar to FNC.

Features:
    - Fixture contacts the flange not the actual taper.
    - Single dog prevents rotation (steel). It's at the back in the picture. Front side is left open for set screw access.
    - Pivoting clamp secures toolholder (will be steel). It is adjustable (for dual contact, etc.) with a thumbscrew on the bottom. If you use primarily one type, the adjustment position can be locked.
    - Indexes in 90 degree increments for right of left handed use. 4th position (upside down) is optional and can be enabled easily. It is by default not enabled to prevent top heavy tools from falling inadvertently.

fixture.jpg

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im sorry but there has been 4-5 threads about tightening fixtures and all the bells and whistles that go on them.
    Out fixture looks like shit, its simple, its horizontal but the best part it works time and time again. no need for levers and dual contact...all your doing is tightening a screw or nut. wouldnt catch me spending dough for one...i needed one for my bt30s, so what did i do???? popped a hole in a plate, made two key blocks and bolted it to the table...hasnt moved in 10 years and still does the job....
    jus sayin

3. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No need to be sorry. I've been working on this thing for about a year, last couple weeks almost entirely. I'm happy that the thing is mostly done. The recent threads inspired me to get the thing finished.

5. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like it! Would you want to post the assembly on the open source website I'm slowly working on?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea I’d be interested in the files too. Looks pretty nice I may consider making one if I ever find the time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I like it! Would you want to post the assembly on the open source website I'm slowly working on?
    I'm hoping to sell them shortly so I don't want to give away the design. It wouldn't be worth it anyway, it would take a lot of time to make just one. Thanks!

9. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the point. Open source stuff for machinists and have an option to buy or make your own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shut up and take my money!

I have a Dorian, it is OK. Doesn't play well with Maritool set screw holders, and Dorian was a junky company to deal with when I bought it. Also, I like new toys.

12. Likes BSCustoms, CosmosK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like it also how many moneys
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nelson View Post
    I like it also how many moneys
    Don
    I'm looking at retail being 275. I'm thinking to send the first few out at a discount, so 220. Right now, I'm trying to get feedback on the design (still need cat40 volunteer) then I'll need 3-4 weeks to run the first batch and get the parts coated. Thanks for your interest

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CosmosK. I would be happy to be a CAT40 volunteer. Also have BT40 and it would be great if it fits both.

16. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be interested in a CAT40 setup.

18. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I've been using CosmosK's CAT40 fixture for about 2 weeks now, thought I'd post a comment for the board.

This is a really nice fixture- I honestly can't find anything to complain about. The clamp mechanism is easy to use and the holders are clamped securely, no movement at all.

The height of the clamping cam adjusts easily with a thumbscrew, with enough friction that it is not necessary to lock it in place. I've tested it on standard CAT40, Dual-Contact CAT40, and standard BT40 holders from Mari, Parlec, Techniks, and Lyndex, and it holds every one perfectly.

The indexing is done with a simple spring plunger that is easy to use and locks the position tight. I've used it for both pull studs and collets, and I leaned on it pretty good with no movement.

This is a very well made and well thought out design. I would advise members to get on Cosmos' list if you want a really nice fixture at a very fair price. I haven't used the Dorian, but I can't think of a reason I would pick a Dorian over this one.

It checks all the boxes for me- nice work Cosmos.

20. Likes CosmosK, greggv liked this post