What's new
What's new

Tool tip - Fiskars hammer. Really.

GregSY

Diamond
I consider anything made by Fiskars to be garbage....but I needed a small, heavy hammer and decided to buy this one at Home Depot. It looks like a typical Fiskars product, and has terrible balance. It's a shameful hammer as far as that goes. But....it's really good for giving a good whack in a tight space. I've owned tons of hammers and this one is the best without a doubt. It seems to weigh more than it should, and it hits far harder than you'd think.

fiskar.jpg

I use Fiskars scissors as hammers all the time.

Fiskars usta make decent goods. Not enough fingers and toes to count back to WHEN.

Nowadays, yah carry a hammer WITH their scissors. Tent pegs and tarp anchors, rocks and gravel terrain.

Gotta cut sumthin'? Smack the rivet. Cut 12", smack the rivet, cut 12", smack...

WhereTF did I leave the ugly-crude-but-good-CUTTING Chinese HCS ones outta the Korean market kitchenware section again?

Seriously. It should NOT be that hard to make an ignorant pair of scissors that JF cut better than they look. "Oxo" do it. "Wiss" usta do.

:(

I bought a Fiskars scissors & almost need 2 people to pull the "ergonomic" handle off of my fingers. Might just wear it all day like Edward Scissorhands. Seriously, can't put it down with one hand. Need the other hand to wiggle it free.

HD also sells the Estwing 3 lb drilling hammer. Compact. well balanced, fits even large hands nicely, and it's less expensive - $24.97. No fancy tech handle, just one piece steel. It's our go to hammer for big stamping and etc. Makes me smile when I pick it up.

estwing-drilling-hammers-b3-3lb-64_1000.jpg

HD also sells the Estwing 3 lb drilling hammer. Compact. well balanced, fits even large hands nicely, and it's less expensive - $24.97. No fancy tech handle, just one piece steel. It's our go to hammer for big stamping and etc. Makes me smile when I pick it up.

View attachment 273162

I have an Estwing Hammer that I bought over thirty years ago. It's the one you show here. It's got perfect balance and is just right for most of the times that I need a hammer. It's on my welding bench and I wouldn't be without it. The soft handle covering is still intact as well.

I have both the Estwing 3 lb and also the 2 lb drilling hammers. The 2lb gets used a LOT.

Try the Fiskars vs the Estwing then report back, lol.

I have a few Estwings that are framing hammers. Nice hammers but not 'awesome'.

How could Fiskar's screw up a hammer ?

Easy, the handle could fall off.....:D

Revert back to using qty (1) rock.

Fiskar's claim to hammer fame is their shock absorbing handle, which reduces wear and tear on the user. Patent US 8,893,585.

And thru bad quality control....they will fall off.

If the mis-matched chemical mix don't take your hand off from cancer first.

Last edited:
I don't know how many still do this. I have been dealing with a frustrating stuck round overarms on an old mill, using the usual crappy leadshot hammers until I dropped. I revived my old 6lb lead hammer I used to true multi piece crankshafts many years ago, and it knock the overarms loose quickly!
Of course, precautions must be taken, making you own lead hammers!
if you really need to beat the crap out of something, and leave no marks, this may be it.
Refreshing and healthful lead,
7EYNvlr.jpg

My hammers look like that one now, or a bit flatter. I have a printer buddy with some linotype, I was thinking about getting some from him to add into the remelt on my hammers. Linotype is a little harder than pure lead, hammer might last longer?

Back