What's new
What's new

tool tip identifacation

jaybie

Plastic
tool tip identification

Hi
I have acquired these tooling tips in a job lot. I think they may be for carving metal but not sure. They are probably HSS tool steel as a file can not scratch them. The cutting profiles are not correct for lathe work. Has anyone seen the like of these before?? What holder would have been used with them??

Regards
John

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_091226.jpg
    IMG_20210118_091226.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210118_091319.jpg
    IMG_20210118_091319.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20210118_091343.jpg
    IMG_20210118_091343.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 151
They do look like profile cutters from HSS drill blanks. There could be a cutter holder that positions them at an angle to the work so that the top cutting face is less positive and provide front clearance for the profile. Since they're presented to the work at some angle, the actual profile cut has to be adjusted for on the tool. In the first picture, the first tool MIGHT be intended as an acme thread tool.

Thanks for the replies guys. If i cannot find a use for them i will grind them into something useful.

Cheers

They almost look like form tools for keyway and corner cutting in a shaper.

Methinks they may have been mounted such that they jabbed back and forth lengthwise.

But what do I know?

I think Just a Sparky is on to something. The tool angles don't look at all good for rotating cutters (e.g., D-bits), and seem equally inappropriate (based on the photos) for grooving/boring bar use. But reasonable for axial shaping, especially on a small slotter attachment for a mill.

They are not the 5/8" shank tools sold for use with the Bridgeport slotter attachment, but that wasn't the only such device, and nothing ever stopped a machine shop from adapting a small shank to a larger hole.

Last edited:
Some interesting thoughts on these little tool bits. I have came across this picture since posting the pictures. They look very similar to the profiles of the tips. I will make a holder for them and try them out.gravers.JPG

Back