What's new
What's new

Toolbit Grinding

Nitromahn

Aluminum
Gentlemen,

I have a photo of Abom79 in one of his videos where he is setting up the angles on his toolbit. Can you please tell me the name of the tool just below his hand; it is a flat protractor he used to set the angles. I need the name of the tool so I can find one. Thank you.Toolbit 2.jpg

For hobby work the general is fine for a 1 degree need.. the expensive one for a half and perhaps 1/4 degree with looking with a loop.
Square head is good because you can reference with the top and sides. cant do that with a round head protractor.

Turning bits are mostly ballpark with +- 1 degree plenty close enough.

Thread cutting tool bits need a fish gauge to day-light view the angles.
Common are 60 degrees and 55 degrees also there are Acme bit gauges that give the angle and the end flat.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-C391-Degree-Center-Gage/dp/B0002CSBN4

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-18-Round-Protractor/dp/B00004T7TC

Price difference is $78 to $8. Which is the one to buy? They make it easy to choose....

I don't know Ron, after all the $78 Starrett job, does have Free Amazon Tech Support ………..which only lasts for 90 days!

Oh FFS! whatever next :rolleyes5:

Might add most guys don't protractor a turning bit.. but they line up the side cutting edge
to a protractor if the part print shows a needed angle ..or they line up edge to the part end if they need a square right angle on the part.
Clearance angles are ballpark as are side and back rake.
The tool bit nose should have a little less clearance where to the side and follow edges come together.
If any of these words throw you then you can search around and figure them out.
How to Run a lathe is a free down load and a handy lathe book.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

You can buy a mess of used tool bits on ebay and get a good idea how to hold/grind them

I think a protractor head for the blade in your adjustable square is a lot more accurate and useful in the shop. That goes for both wood and metal shops.

attachment.php

I have two but this old Brown and Sharpe is my favorite. I picked up the protractor head on E-bay with no blade. So I made the blade from an inexpensive square and cut it to fit exactly even with the base of the head when it is set to zero degrees. There are times when this comes in very handy. My Starrett, which cost me a lot more does not have that feature. Both are accurate to fractional degrees.

I also made the oversized thumb nut and the screw it sits on for locking the blade in place. With it's extra large size and fine knurl, it is by far the most comfortable thumb nut of any of my squares, even the Starretts.

One of South Bend's suggested angles - 61 degrees included. (a teeny tiny scan)

Attachments

• SB cutting tool angle.jpg
    SB cutting tool angle.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 102
Gentlemen,

I have a photo of Abom79 in one of his videos where he is setting up the angles on his toolbit. Can you please tell me the name of the tool just below his hand; it is a flat protractor he used to set the angles. I need the name of the tool so I can find one. Thank you.View attachment 264588

If you really want to do bit grinding, you need to get a 500 series Baldor grinder. These have tilting tables on both wheels and a protractor that fits a machined slot in the tables. You need the appropriate AO wheels and or Diamond resin wheels for carbide. You will need a diamond wheel dresser that rides in the table slot. Do you absolutely need these? No, you don't, but having these makes a huge difference in the quality and accuracy and the speed of your grinds. I sharpened HSS tools for years without one, but after finally getting the right stuff, I can tell you that I should have acquired the stuff a very long time before I did.

Plenty of good lathe tool bits grinding sites. Good to learn the terms , how they work and how they compare to mill cutters teeth and inserts, end mills, planer bits and the like.
The side cutting edge is the main edge that the feed direction pushes the cutting edge into the work/part. The front cutting angle I like to call the follow angle when is is not intended to be fed into the part/work. Rakes are the angle the chip flows across. relief is the same as clearance and is the way the cutting edges fall away from thepart under the cutting edge.

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/instructions/grindingtoolbits.pdf

lathe tool bits photis - Yahoo Image Search Results

Back