What's new
What's new

Toolbox / Vidmar lining material

snowman

Diamond
I'm trying to get better organized and it's time to start lining all of my tool boxes / vidmar drawers.

Does anyone know what type of foam is generally used? Type of fabric for gluing to surface of foam?

I believe I should be using a closed cell polyethylene foam, then laminating it with fabric.

My biggest concerns are offgassing, from either the foam, fabric or adhesive.

Has anyone been down this road?

Yes I have lined my tool box,if you work in a factory or know someone who does you can bet your botton dolloar that in goods at your inspection department will get loads of suitable lining thats ideal for toolboxes comes in a lot of packing cases-ask be surprised if they dont-as for glue just read the instructions its only to stop it curling up over time

I'm curious- what's the main goal of lining the vidmar, to protect cutting tools? I really, really, really like these for organizing cutting tools within vidmars:

Red plastic tool box drawer system

Because these boxes allow you to manage cutting tools into smaller increments, I don't really find foam too necessary. Same with inspection equipment. I use 5S foam for things like wrenches or sockets that you buy a set of once, and never need to buy more again. For anything else I just use the standard vidmar dividers.

There seem to be more than a few threads here on this subject, but I use hall runner carpet from Home Depot. Offcuts are cheaper, but a 27" wide roll retails for under $4/ ft. It's ribbed, so things like endmills don't roll around and the back is rubberised so it doesn't slide. No curling, either and no glue required. While there may be offgassing, its odorless to me.

It does melt when a hot tool or part is put on it...that makes a bit of a mess. ;)

Neil

The goal is largely to have things layed out in a more organized and nicer method. At $4 a foot, it's more expensive than the foam. However, for my automotive toolbox I think it'll be more suitable. I'm mostly thinking about things like inspection tooling. At some point I'd like to take the time to do cutouts so everything has a home.

Organization and structure are new for me, but they are changing my life in pretty considerable ways....so I'd like to continue to invest in them.

Polyethylene Foam

Not exactly sure what it's called, but the material that is 2/3 of normal corrugated cardboard that material ships with all the time. I use that in my vidmars. The ridges in the cardboard keep stuff from rolling around and it lasts along time. When it's dirty I throw it out.

Back