What's new
What's new

Tooling for 40 taper mill

PT Doc

Cast Iron
CAT40 tooling seems to be more readily available than NT40 from suppliers like MariTool and Glacern. Makes sense since Haas machines use CAT40. I have been reading a bit through old posts about modifying the drawbar and keys of a NT40 machine to convert it to use CAT40 tooling.

If you were able to buy a good quality 5hp milling machine with NT40 spindle taper, would you convert the machine to accept CAT40 tooling? I have neither NT40 nor CAT40 tooling at this time.

Thanks in advance.

It's not a bad idea if your machine in amicable to it (removable drive keys, easy replacement/mod of the drawbar). CAT40 is "future proofing" your mill, while NMTB is pretty much obsolete.

IMO, of course.

no.

why? they cost relatively the same new or used.

unless i had some specific reason to.... like i already had a supply of cat40 tooling on hand
or someone offered me free ct40's ...

are you implying that you already have a Haas mill?

Which 5hp quality nt40 mill are you modifying?

are maritool and glacern the only vendors from where you can buy tooling?

CAT40 tooling seems to be more readily available than NT40 from suppliers like MariTool and Glacern. Makes sense since Haas machines use CAT40. I have been reading a bit through old posts about modifying the drawbar and keys of a NT40 machine to convert it to use CAT40 tooling.

If you were able to buy a good quality 5hp milling machine with NT40 spindle taper, would you convert the machine to accept CAT40 tooling? I have neither NT40 nor CAT40 tooling at this time.

Thanks in advance.

I have more NMTB 40 than CAT 40 but don't pay much mind to it for an all-manual mill.

BT40 or Ericsson I DO still avoid, but even those would not be "show stoppers"

CNC with pull-studs, toolchanger, and magazine is where it REALLY matters.

If you don't yet have any major investment nor "count" in NMTB 40? I'd go CAT 40 and sell or trade-way the fewer older ones as are not special or uncommon just to reduce even the MINOR nuisance.

20CW

no.

why? they cost relatively the same new or used.

unless i had some specific reason to.... like i already had a supply of cat40 tooling on hand
or someone offered me free ct40's ...

are you implying that you already have a Haas mill?

Which 5hp quality nt40 mill are you modifying?

are maritool and glacern the only vendors from where you can buy tooling?

Cost for either CT or NT40 is similar new but options for NT40 are limited. Since Haas machines are so prevalent and use CAT40 is seems logical that manufacturers are focusing their production on that high demand. I am considering this modification since it seems fairly easy to do to have the option of more readily available tooling. I just listed MariTool and Glacern because those are the manufacturers that I checked out and saw the limited options for NT40.

I have more NMTB 40 than CAT 40 but don't pay much mind to it for an all-manual mill.

BT40 or Ericsson I DO still avoid, but even those would not be "show stoppers"

CNC with pull-studs, toolchanger, and magazine is where it REALLY matters.

If you don't yet have any major investment nor "count" in NMTB 40? I'd go CAT 40 and sell or trade-way the fewer older ones as are not special or uncommon just to reduce even the MINOR nuisance.

20CW

Since I have neither NT40 nor CAT40, I would have to make a commitment to either or. So it seems like now is the time to decide.

Since I have neither NT40 nor CAT40, I would have to make a commitment to either or. So it seems like now is the time to decide.

One actually doesn't "have to" make any sort of "commitment" at all, with those two as the options.

But skew the new buys to CAT 40, anyway.

Pull one driving lug off the spindle nose - done ages ago, here - NMTB still fits if you need that for an oddball not to be found cheaply anywhere else, and done.

It is an easily reversed decision, after all.

Lug can stay off. Drawbar "may" even be made dual-use easily enough.

CAT was just the first mod to NMTB 40 so automatic toolchangers could work with it. The Metrifuckated 40-taper tribe are the ones with the weird-arseholes.

:D

while that's terrific you've decided on one over the other.... i'm curious to hear of the
unavailable tooling in nmtb-40 . i have facemill arbors, Tg-100 chucks, er-32 chucks, er-16
chucks, solid endmill holders . only thing missing is shrink-fit endmill holders, which
wouldn't do me much good @4200 rpm anyway.

good luck on your new mill purchase.

while that's terrific you've decided on one over the other.... i'm curious to hear of the
unavailable tooling in nmtb-40 . i have facemill arbors, Tg-100 chucks, er-32 chucks, er-16
chucks, solid endmill holders . only thing missing is shrink-fit endmill holders, which
wouldn't do me much good @4200 rpm anyway.

good luck on your new mill purchase.

I never said unavailable. I have said that it is limited compared to NT40. Its great that you have all the tooling you need. There seem to be more options available in CAT40 and this seems to be the direction of tooling production according to manufacturers. That it. Nothing more.
Thnaks for the help.

One actually doesn't "have to" make any sort of "commitment" at all, with those two as the options.

But skew the new buys to CAT 40, anyway.

Pull one driving lug off the spindle nose - done ages ago, here - NMTB still fits if you need that for an oddball not to be found cheaply anywhere else, and done.

It is an easily reversed decision, after all.

Lug can stay off. Drawbar "may" even be made dual-use easily enough.

CAT was just the first mod to NMTB 40 so automatic toolchangers could work with it. The Metrifuckated 40-taper tribe are the ones with the weird-arseholes.

:D

Thanks for pulling key recommendation. I haven’t seen an NT 40 mill in person nor have I seen either holder. According to drawings, 1.1” longer holder for NT40.
Thank you for your input.

Thanks for pulling key recommendation. I haven’t seen an NT 40 mill in person nor have I seen either holder. According to drawings, 1.1” longer holder for NT40.
Thank you for your input.

My recollection too, BTW, is that there are TWO "official" thread sizes for the tail. One common, the other not so much.

Same again with Metric. A common thread and an alternative, both "official", not proprietary. That said, ALL OF NMTB/ANSI/ISO 40-taper, CAT, BT and Ericsson have the SAME taper.

The differences are in the "gage line", flange shape, driving lug, grooves for auto-toolchanger pick-up, and the tails for threaded drawbar or grasp onto a pull-stud.

All the "modern" ones are also more carefully balanced dynamically for use at higher RPM, too.

Some would have you believe one MUST move-over to HSK, Capto, etc. And when for truly high RPM, it is a very good idea.

Nonetheless, cheap and cheerful JFDI 40 taper lives on. Good value for money, so that will not change any time soon.

If I were to buy a mill with a 40 taper and loose drawbar, and I needed to buy new toolholders, I would buy Cat 40 toolholders. This would require making a new drawbar that is about 1 inch longer than the old drawbar. This way if I were to upgrade to a CNC I would already have toolholders. To utilize standard NMTB 40 holders you simply need to use a 1" spacer under the drawbar to shorten it to original length.

You will need to modify one drive key on the spindle. On Cat holders, one drive notch is less deep. That notch is marked with a drill point or a short bore to achieve balance. If you remove one key, you have to index your toolholder properly each time. If you modify (shorten) both keys, you don't have to worry about a wrong index, plus it maintains spindle balance.

Erickson QC 40 toolholders are standard NMTB 40 toolholders. The only difference is the drive flange is qualified both sides to fit the QC locknut.

this is weird. iv had my 40 taper mill set up for any 40 taper for years. no sweat, they all touch and lock. just get the sg to the keys.

If I were to buy a mill with a 40 taper and loose drawbar, and I needed to buy new toolholders, I would buy Cat 40 toolholders. This would require making a new drawbar that is about 1 inch longer than the old drawbar. This way if I were to upgrade to a CNC I would already have toolholders. To utilize standard NMTB 40 holders you simply need to use a 1" spacer under the drawbar to shorten it to original length.

You will need to modify one drive key on the spindle. On Cat holders, one drive notch is less deep. That notch is marked with a drill point or a short bore to achieve balance. If you remove one key, you have to index your toolholder properly each time. If you modify (shorten) both keys, you don't have to worry about a wrong index, plus it maintains spindle balance.

Erickson QC 40 toolholders are standard NMTB 40 toolholders. The only difference is the drive flange is qualified both sides to fit the QC locknut.

Thank you for the explanation. Decreasing the key height as you described seems to be the easy solution and will provide balance. I will have another drawbar when getting the Maxi Torque APDB.
Thanks again.

Just to be clear, the face of the key that must be ground is the face against the OD of the toolholder.

Back