What's new
What's new

Tooling for deep pocket milling in 7075 T6

I start with a 72 lb piece of 7075 and end up with a 12 lb fairly complex part, lots of triangular pockets 4" deep. a 4" bore with a .0003 tolerance and lots of other fun stuff. I only need to make 4, 2 of one type 2 symmetrically opposite. The pockets are mostly through and have 1/4" radius corners. thought about having some end mills made, 3/4 loc 4.5" solid carbide with a reduced shank diameter so it does not rub on the pocket wall. Planned on drilling the pockets first. What are you using for end mills in this sort of application? I'm thinking I am going to have a bit of chatter going on.

I would say you don't need specials for this application.
Here are standard reduced neck variable helix end mills from Helical CLICK

We've talked a ways back about getting together as I sell tooling in your area. Particularly in Marion. Hit me up if you want pricing.

Data flute was from my home town in Pittsfield Ma, My dad owned the building across from it at one point. For some weird reason they had pretty bad support locally. It was easier to get Mikron tooling so that's what I used haha.

Data flute was from my home town in Pittsfield Ma, My dad owned the building across from it at one point. For some weird reason they had pretty bad support locally. It was easier to get Mikron tooling so that's what I used haha.

Interesting. Well his business plan worked ignoring the locals..... I live in NW Ohio and Imco is in Toledo and there are only a handful of shops that use Imco. Usually the EXTREMELY local ones that are a mile or two away just out of convenience of driving down and picking up what they need. I know some people swear by Imco on this site for hi temp materials but most don’t use them in the area.

and there are only a handful of shops that use Imco.
Probably because their website sucks.
I've wanted to try their stuff from time to time, but navigating their site isn't the most user friendly, so I go somewhere else.
I'm sure they have quality stuff though, I don't recall hearing anything negative about them.

Back