Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If there can't be a Fadal forum, then f'it, no toolmaking forum.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it is difficult to separate the machining talents to make toolmaking specific.

A die maker is a certain field of a toolmaker or at least includes toolmaker skills, a machine builder with making machine parts another field, a machinist making just anything from the next print, even a blacksmith who used heat more that machines might be included in the field with finishing parts on a mill. lathe, grinder, or bench file and vise.

Someone might be a machinist and expected to just about any machine tool machine, would he be a toolmaker?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Since no one has volunteered to moderate this "toolmaking" forum, I will volunteer and head this task. I understand that I have been coarse at times, but I think I may have learned a lesson.

The truth is, I'm eager to hear from retired Die, Mold and fixture makers. Their knowledge must be brought out. This new forum, will greatly benefit all machinist on this site.
    “ I understand that I have been coarse at times, but I think I may have learned a lesson.”

You are a comedian Lol.

“ The truth is, I'm eager to hear from retired Die, Mold and fixture makers. Their knowledge must be brought out.”

After you trashing retirees you actually think they buy your online persona? They do not. Yeah they will come out of retirement for a migraine like you? You are not material for enlightenment from toolmaker or machinist.

4. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Since no one has volunteered to moderate this "toolmaking" forum, I will volunteer and head this task. I understand that I have been coarse at times, but I think I may have learned a lesson.

The truth is, I'm eager to hear from retired Die, Mold and fixture makers. Their knowledge must be brought out. This new forum, will greatly benefit all machinist on this site.
    Guess what? I started this career as a "toolmaker" and I still know lots of shit about manual machines, grinding tricks, die making, etc, but you shit on my first post about this. What makes you think ANYONE here wants to help you????????? How about you start your own forum, and call it toolmaking 101 by OTWIT, then just piss everyone's ideas into the trash... Good Luck!

6. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I made a part that was compression molded, and IIRC 60% glass was the mix.
    Anything but liquid metal is for sissies

p1000475.jpg

8. Likes cameraman, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good grief.. it's another "My schlong is bigger than yours" thread. Ok, lets have the only manufacturing in this country be Toolmakers. Nobody has to make production parts. Nobody needs CNC. Who cares if a part takes 5 hours to make in a tool room, quantity parts don't scale down the time very well, if a production CNC can whip them out in 6 minutes each, unattended. Lets see how that works on the global stage.
    Toolmakers, mold makers, machine builders are wonderful trades. Don't let it take away from all aspects of manufacturing. It takes all types.

Lets support and compliment each other, instead of trying to step on each other.

10. Likes BoxcarPete liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The forum that I have suggested has clearly very little support, mainly because I have suggested it.

A toolmaking forum would be an attempt to expose what a toolmaker really does. In some larger shops, toolmakers delegate most of their tasks necessary to complete a tool, Going to each department with a specific drawing to mill, lathe, grind and/or edm. He then gathers all of the components and does the final fitting and assembly. As you can imagine this, the toolmaker is basically the job coordinator.

In smaller shops, the methods that I have described above are not viable. Toolmakers at smaller firms delegate much less to complete a tool.

A toolmaking forum will be a great benefit for younger members that are in search of a career, not a job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I admit to being surprised over the hang up some may have as to the title of "Toolmaker" as being something special,
    Skilled Machinist maybe okay.
    See no need for a section devoted to those with a big ego.
    The I am elite or sitting in the ivory tower has always made me wonder if such do not put their pants on one leg at a time.

I do "get" it and the why. There becomes a point when you have had that Ah-ha and this is just crazy how much I now know.
    This happens to many. The josh I am good at this.
    Yes me too for sure and then the Drink deep or taste not the Pierain spring.

Both general and CNC are so full of people that can kick my dick into the dirt on demand and this works but I am still learning stuff so not an expert toolmaker by any means.
    Bob

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I admit to being surprised over the hang up some may have as to the title of "Toolmaker" as being something special,
    The I am elite or sitting in the ivory tower has always made me wonder if such do not put their pants on one leg at a time.
    Bob
    I used to work for a "Manufacturing center of excellence".
    Because the owners son (the "boy") liked that self-titled name.
    Although he couldn't use a drilling machine. Seriously.
    Anyway, I always liked the name "Job Shop" because that means you can do most things.

14. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My friends father apprenticed as a Toolmaker at Vospers in Woolston UK in the late 40's. And as such at the end of his apprenticeship was a qualified toolmaker.

I suspect at least up till the point he was cremated he'd forgotten more about Toolmaking than the OP is ever going to know.

There's plenty of stories around LA of Toolmaking shops run by Europeans who were Toolmakers back in the old country. Scots and Germans being especially prevalent. If the OP had ever worked for one of those firms, I suspect he has some skills. But as he's said he's only had 1 customer for 30 years, I kinda dought it.

I think the OP should show some pictures of his tools he's made over the years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the OP wants a reality check, go to Germany, and apply for a Toolmaking job there. If things haven't changed their going to ask to see which school and firms you worked at to become a qualified Toolmaker.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Bob
    Hello Bob,
    This discussion has very little to do with "ego". What many members have failed to grasp is that toolmaking is the highest level of skilled trades... ALL SKILLED TRADES.

There is a notable difference between machinist and toolmaker. A machinist can become a toolmaker, a toolmaker never goes back to be a machinist.

In reference to triumph;
    "If the OP wants a reality check, go to Germany, and apply for a Toolmaking job there. If things haven't changed their going to ask to see which school and firms you worked at to become a qualified Toolmaker".

I have worked with toolmakers from all over the world, and what I have learned is that the best were American, followed by the British and Canadians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I think the OP should show some pictures of his tools he's made over the years.
    He has, they're all over his website.

They're perfectly decent looking jigs and fixtures, but absolutely nothing groundbreaking or particularly special in any way. OP seriously needs to get over himself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post

They're perfectly decent looking jigs and fixtures, but absolutely nothing groundbreaking or particularly special in any way. OP seriously needs to get over himself.
    Some of what you have seen gregor are 5 Axis machining fixtures. These are labor intensive assemblies that need to function within .0002" tolerance.
    I am the "sole source" vendor for these tools.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found his site, agreed there's some decent looking stuff there.

I liked the ViseCleats Model X600 for round stock. Although I'd normally cut some soft jaws for round stock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I think it is difficult to separate the machining talents to make toolmaking specific.

A die maker is a certain field of a toolmaker or at least includes toolmaker skills, a machine builder with making machine parts another field, a machinist making just anything from the next print, even a blacksmith who used heat more that machines might be included in the field with finishing parts on a mill. lathe, grinder, or bench file and vise.

Someone might be a machinist and expected to just about any machine tool machine, would he be a toolmaker?
    Well now what about someone that works at a plant forging combo wrenches...he's making tools so therefore would be a tool maker...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I found his site, agreed there's some decent looking stuff there.

I liked the ViseCleats Model X600 for round stock. Although I'd normally cut some soft jaws for round stock.
    Yes triumph,
    The X600 is unique. My theory is that most shops have more milling capacity than turning capability. Chucking rounds in a VMC makes a lot of sense. I have been using my sets for months now, and the results have exceeded my expectations. I have been chucking A2 tool steel 6" rounds and 4140 Preheatreated blanks as well. The serrations are still leaving a significant "bite" on their surfaces.

23. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Well now what about someone that works at a plant forging combo wrenches...he's making tools so therefore would be a tool maker...
    Hello Plastic,
    What the forging plant is using is essentially a Die, obviously a forging die. The operator of this press, is not a toolmaker. To go further; only the toolmaker would be allowed to set this press.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

He should really take Wheelyking up on his job offer.....inside plumbing or not....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Doug,
    Wheelie will do just fine without me.

He just needs to look for applicants that are not married to their phones.