What's new
What's new

Top ten tools for the Tool & Die Apprentice

D.Minnich

Cast Iron
So I got the good news that my Cousins son just got accepted into a Tool & Die apprenticeship in New York.
My cousin called & asked me what tools his son should buy first and I rattled off a few & told him I would give it some more thought and get back to him.
I haven't worked down in the shop for a long time and went by memory, but here is a top ten list I was going to give him. I thought
I would run it by you guys to see if I missed anything obvious that should be on the list.

1. 0-1” Micrometers
2. 0 – 6” Calipers
3. Edge finder
4. Dial indicator
5. 1-2-3 Blocks (set of two)
6. Combination set (Includes 12” scale and different combination pieces that allow you to scribe any line you need)
7. Scribe/indicator stand
8. ‘V’ Block
9. 1” – 2” mics
10. Lockable toolbox

So I got the good news that my Cousins son just got accepted into a Tool & Die apprenticeship in New York.
My cousin called & asked me what tools his son should buy first and I rattled off a few & told him I would give it some more thought and get back to him.
I haven't worked down in the shop for a long time and went by memory, but here is a top ten list I was going to give him. I thought
I would run it by you guys to see if I missed anything obvious that should be on the list.

1. 0-1” Micrometers
2. 0 – 6” Calipers
3. Edge finder
4. Dial indicator
5. 1-2-3 Blocks (set of two)
6. Combination set (Includes 12” scale and different combination pieces that allow you to scribe any line you need)
7. Scribe/indicator stand
8. ‘V’ Block
9. 1” – 2” mics
10. Lockable toolbox

11. C305R-6: 6" flexible scale, 0.1"/0.01", 1/32" and 1/64" divisions.

As a Toolmaker apprentice I had to make the V-blocks, 1-2-3 blocks and a small machinist vise. I also made a sine plate, tap wrench, parallel bar set, pump center, and other small tools. I went thru the same program that my Dad did in the 1950's. Now everything is just bought.

Hi D Minninch:
- A depth mike.

- A cheapo vernier caliper for rough work (not dial or digital...too fragile and expensive for sawing and scribing).

- A good DTI and a crappy one he can abuse.
Interrapid for the good one, SPI or Fowler or cheapo No-Name Asian for the beater.

- A set of telescopic gauges, Mitutoyo or Starrett.

Is he going to be a diemaker, a mold maker or an instrument maker?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

My list would depend on what tools the company provides. He may need a height gauge, sine plate, gauge blocks, gauge pins, etc,etc. Also what about a 0-1" blade mic, 0-1" thread mic?

Here's a Starett kit that matches your top ten pretty closely.

Starrett S908Z Tool Makers Set, 65120 | eBay

Your tool box suggestion is a good one, because he's going to need a place to keep the additional tools he acquires as he advances through the program. I think it might be sensible to present the new apprentice with a nice toolbox and a certificate promising to buy the basic tools once they know what their program calls for.

As a Toolmaker apprentice I had to make the V-blocks, 1-2-3 blocks and a small machinist vise. I also made a sine plate, tap wrench, parallel bar set, pump center, and other small tools. I went thru the same program that my Dad did in the 1950's. Now everything is just bought.

Lucky you, my first week as an apprentice I had to square a block with a hand file.
I like the idea of having apprentices build their own tools. But none of the shops I ever worked at allowed that...shame, gave you some great experience I bet. Maybe my cousins kid will be fortunate enough to work at a place like that. From what my cousin tells me they do have a program that the company purchases tools up to a certain amount and then garnishes a certain amount out of his paycheck till its paid off. I like that as well...precision tools can be pricey

and a pocket guide and a notebook with a pencil and a pen.....Oh and for $5 a 10power loop.

Amazon.com: iKKEGOL Pocket Jewelry Loupe 30x 21mm Foldable Magnifying Jewelers Eye Glass Magnifier, Metal Body Black with Box: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

This one might be Ok, good to go to the bookstore and take a look.
looking for drill and tap data, basic formulas, BP and inspection symbols, stuff like that.
ULTIMATE GD+T POCKET GUIDE: Alex Krulikowski: 9780924520235: Amazon.com: Books

*Might wait and see what the instructor recommends. That is where the notebook comes in handy.

Calculator. And something concentrically pointy to put in a drill chuck to quickly find the center of whatever you're about to drill.

I would place 1-2-3 blocks just after tits on a boar-hog, personally.

Hi D Minninch:
- A depth mike.

- A cheapo vernier caliper for rough work (not dial or digital...too fragile and expensive for sawing and scribing).

- A good DTI and a crappy one he can abuse.
Interrapid for the good one, SPI or Fowler or cheapo No-Name Asian for the beater.

- A set of telescopic gauges, Mitutoyo or Starrett.

Is he going to be a diemaker, a mold maker or an instrument maker?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Tool & Die Maker

A trig book to go with the calculator. My Carr Lane book that I got 30 years ago is sitting under my monitor now, and it was free. Damn handy when I did mold making.

I suggest he contact the company that is providing the apprentiship and ask *them* what they think he should have on hand when he shows up the first day. The answer might be "all of the above" and it could well be "nothing at all except a keen mind." They may provide all the equipment he'll need.

Forgo the calculator and trig book. There's a ton of cheap/free apps for your phone that will do this.

I agree with asking the company first to know what the company supplies before buying anything. This way he can get what he knows he needs and build up from there.

A trig book to go with the calculator. My Carr Lane book that I got 30 years ago is sitting under my monitor now, and it was free. Damn handy when I did mold making.

Good idea, I think I still have mine in the attic. I'll look for it (Trig book - same one) and send it to him
I've since made up an excel spreadsheet that spits out all my Trig for me

I suggest he contact the company that is providing the apprentiship and ask *them* what they think he should have on hand when he shows up the first day. The answer might be "all of the above" and it could well be "nothing at all except a keen mind." They may provide all the equipment he'll need.

Good point

Nothing is worse than using a phone app when a calculator is what you really need. Less dependency on phones is what we need, not more.

A calculator frees your from having to use your phone in a hot/dirty/greasy shop environment. It also has REAL buttons, not gay touch screens that might or might not decide to register your tapping. A calculator also will perform more functions, easily.

A calculator will also prevent your from giving up even more of your privacy to unknown parties. A calculator forgets all once you turn it off, and it has no connectivity. If I were running a shop that deals in any sort of trade secrets or proprietary drawings, I'd forbid employees from putting any of it on the open air.

Back